Copycat Pasta e Fagioli Soup is a no-fuss Olive Garden copycat recipe. It’s hearty and tasty with a robust flavor. This cozy traditional Italian soup is made with authentic ingredients of meat, vegetables, beans, and pasta. It’s a wholesome meal in a bowl!
What is Fagioli?
According to Wikipedia, Pasta e Fagioli, meaning “pasta and beans”, is a traditional Italian pasta dish. It is often called pasta fasul or pasta fazool in the New York Italian dialect, derived from its Neapolitan name, pasta e fasule.
What is ditalini pasta?
Ditalini is a type of pasta that is shaped like small tubes. It has been described as “very short macaroni”. You may also hear it called “salad macaroni.” You can take a look at the shape here and you can also put it in your shopping cart if you want.
What do I need to get started on Copycat Pasta e Fagioli Soup?
- Sweet Italian sausage. You can also use ground beef.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Celery stalks
- Tomato paste
- Beef broth
- Dark red kidney beans. Make sure to drain and rinse the beans well
- Cannellini beans
- Tomato sauce
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes. or petite diced tomatoes – I prefer the fire roasted for more flavor
- Dried oregano
- Basil (fresh or dried). I like to add some fresh parsley, but dried is fine
- Dry ditalini pasta. you can add any pasta you choose
- Fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly shredded is the best, but any is fine
Tips for the best Copycat Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- If you want a quick dinner, make it in a large saucepan in less than 45 minutes. Follow the directions except instead of cooking in the slow cooker, just cook on the stove, simmering for 20 to 30 minutes.
- The pasta will soak up all the broth, so before serving, you may wish to add extra broth.
- If the sausage has plenty of fat, you may omit the olive oil.
Can I cook Slow Cooker Olive Garden Copycat Pasta e Fagioli Soup in a slow cooker?
Yes! You can cook this soup reicpe in the slow cooker for an easy dinner. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours.
How do I store leftovers?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
While you’re here, check out these soup recipes
- Pasta Meatball Soup Recipe
- Skinny Turkey Meatball Tortellini Soup
- Beefy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Navy Bean Soup
- Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup
- Hash Brown Slow Cooker Potato Soup
What I used
- These bowls are fun and festive
- I adore soup crocks with handles
- Add neutral elegance
- Beautiful ladle
- Or if rustic is more your style
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
Olive Garden Copycat Pasta e Fagioli Soup
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 3 medium celery stalks diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounce tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil, fresh or dried
- 8 ounces dry ditalini pasta
- Fresh parsley chopped, for serving
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated, for serving
- Basil for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and cook the sausage and onions until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Pour the sausage and onions into the slow cooker. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and tomato paste and stir well until combined.
- Next add the broth, kidney beans, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, and basil.
- Cover with the lid and set on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add the pasta and allow to cook until tender.
- Serve immediately with parsley, and parmesan cheese.