Muddy Buddy Brownies are inspired by the popular dessert treat, muddy buddy mix (aka puppy chow). I transformed brownies into a decadent treat by covering it with fudge and powdered sugar. They are a highly addictive treat!
MUDDY BUDDY BROWNIES
There are two important things you need to know about these muddy buddy brownie bars. First, they’re incredibly good. Fantastic. Outstanding. Wonderful. Out-of-this-world good!!
Second, they are really messy to make. But, hey, it’s the price we pay for a better-than-anything-else dessert! 🤷🏻♀️Additionally, if you have kids, have them help but kids love to get messy especially when it comes to getting messy with powdered sugar and chocolate.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
To start with you’ll make a batch of brownies. If you have a brownie recipe that makes an 8×8-inch baking pan batch, you can use that recipe or I use this recipe, Chocolate Fudge Brownies.
For the Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- All-purpose flour.
- Baking powder.
- Butter. I used unsalted
- Unsweetened chocolate. chopped
- Brown sugar.
- White granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract.
- Chocolate chips.
In addition, you’ll need these ingredients for the Muddy Buddy part
- Butter. salted or unsalted. I like this brand.
- Cocoa powder.
- Milk. Whole or 2%
- Confectioners sugar. sifted
I tried a couple of different ways to coat these brownies. Honestly, both ways are a little messy so you decide for yourself.
Drop the brownies in your chocolate coating mixture and turn to coat all sides. Using 2 forks helps, you can also use a pastry brush to paint the frosting on the brownies. Immediately drop the brownies into the 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar, turning to coat all sides. Place on a wire rack to dry. Repeat with remaining brownies
- The second method for coating them is to do one side at a time. This means handling each brownie twice but is somewhat less messy.
If you’re looking for more chocolate recipes, here are some of my favorites.
- Best Oreo Brownies
- Everyone loves 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Brownies
- Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- Better Than Box Brownies
- Muddy Buddy Krispie Treats
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment. Your 5-star rating will help others find our recipe when they do a Google search.
MUDDY BUDDY BROWNIES
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
For the brownies
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- 1 large egg yolk at romm temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray, then line it with parchment paper. Allow the edges to hang over. You'll use these as handles to lift the brownies out later. Spray the parchment with nonstick spray too.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, heat butter and chocolate until the butter is melted. Usually, it takes 60 to 75 seconds. Whisk the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is melted and smooth. You can heat a few more seconds if needed. (Alternately, you can melt the butter and chocolate in a pan on top of a pot of simmering water.)
- Remove the butter mixture from the heat. Whisk the sugars into the mixture. Then whisk in the eggs, yolk, and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center of the brownie comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely before adding the glaze
For the Muddy Buddy mixture
- Heat a saucepan on medium-low. Melt the butter for coating. Whisk in the cocoa powder, milk, and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the brownies into equal pieces. Drop them in the chocolate turning to coat all sides. Using 2 forks helps, you can also use a pastry brush to paint the frosting on the brownies.
- Immediately drop the brownies into the 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar, turning to coat all sides. Place on a wire rack to dry. Repeat with remaining brownies.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to store. Can be stored on the countertop.
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 teaspoons hot water (or more, as needed) PREPARE THE GLAZE:
In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Whisk in 4 teaspoons of hot water, then add more water- 1 teaspoon at a time- until you reach a desired glaze consistency. You want to be able to pour it on the brownies.
Use the parchment paper to move the brownies from the pan to a cutting board. Pour the glaze on top of the brownies, and use the bottom of a spoon to gently spread it to the edges. Let the glaze set (chill if you'd like) before cutting.