You can make this classic American diner favorite right at home. With my recipe tips, The Best Patty Melt will rival your favorite greasy spoon restaurant’s version.
I love a patty melt. Although I don’t splurge on them often, it is one of the few foods my entire family eats. It’s also a meal we all pitch in cooking. As the primary cook, I like that a whole lot!!
A Patty Melt is not quite a burger but it’s more than a grilled cheese. And, it’s completely delicious. This is a classic easy dinner recipe that we often forget.
BEST PATTY MELT
- Get ground chuck for the meat. It has the perfect fat to meat ratio to give you that juicy bite.
- Season your meat. I like salt, pepper, and Worcestershire.
- When making the patties, press them out larger than your slices of bread. Because of the pat to meat ratio, they will shrink as they cook. You will want them to fit the bread.
- As well, I like to use Texas toast or sourdough bread for my Patty Melts.
- I like to caramelize my onions instead of a quick saute. If you like mushrooms, you can cook sliced mushrooms along with the onions.
- Finally, I cook the sandwich in the same pan the onions and burgers were cooked in. I cook it exactly how I would a grilled cheese.
When you think about it, a Patty Melt is just a grilled cheese… with a couple more steps. A couple more steps that make this ‘burger’ a mouth-watering, comforting
splurge sandwich a spectacular meal!
While you’re here, check out these recipes
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
- In a medium skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter. Add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown. Remove from skillet and drain. Wipe skillet with paper towels
- For the hamburger: in a bowl place the ground beef, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and make 4 patties (a little larger than the size of the bread).
- Fry the hamburger patties in the same skillet as you cooked the onions in. Remove patties from the skillet and with a paper towel clean the skillet.
- Assemble the sandwiches: 1 slice of bread + 1 slice of cheese + 1 hamburger patty + ¼ of the onion + 1 slice of cheese + 1 slice of bread.
- Melt butter in the skillet and grill the sandwiches on both sides until bread is golden brown. Serve hot.