Spicy Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burger with Avocado Cream Sauce spiced with chili powder and cumin then smothered with creamy avocado sauce. It’s an easy and healthy meatless meal option!
I’ll be honest, I’ve been wanting to make Spicy Homemade black Bean Veggie Burger with Avocado Cream Sauce for a long time. I’ve eaten store-bought black bean burgers and love them. For some reason, I had a mental block to making black bean burgers myself. It just seemed complicated.
After making Slow Cooker Black Beans and having so many black beans left over, I got seriously about researching a black bean burger recipe. It turns out that they are really easy to make and don’t take much time at all. Actually, the food processor does most of the work.
Spicy Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burger with Avocado Cream Sauce
- The black beans are easier to mash with a fork if they are warm or hot.
- I do recommend mashing them with a fork versus mixing them entirely in the food processor. The burgers will have more texture if they are not pureed in the food processor.
- I added chili powder and cumin to flavor my burgers since my black beans already Mexican flavors in them. You can experiment with different spices.
I love a spicy burger and, in my opinion, the more spicy flavor you add to black bean burgers the better! I like to top burger with Avocado Cream Sauce or with Sriracha Comeback Sauce, Lulu’s Wow Sauce, or Lighter Sriracha Dippins Sauce. It adds a nice heat in contrast with the black bean burger.
The Avocado Cream Sauce is optional, however, I highly recommend it! It goes perfectly with the Mexican seasoned black bean burgers. I also like this sauce on sandwiches, as a dip for roasted vegetables and on black bean or chicken soft tacos. It’s very versatile and really easy to make.
Spicy Homemade black Bean Veggie Burger with Avocado Cream Sauce
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty but not to the consistency of refried beans.
- In a food processor, add onion and garlic and chop.
- Pulse until mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Divide mixture into 4 large patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium high. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to the pan. When the oil is hot add burgers. Sear 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove burgers to a sheet tray.
- Bake in 400-degree oven 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot with traditional burger toppings or your preference.
If you like Spicy Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burger with Avocado Cream Sauce, you may also like these healthy recipes