Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans makes a hearty, healthy and economical meal! This is an easy recipe for making the best slow cooker black beans ever!
This recipe makes an easy weeknight meal. You can make them on the stove-top, but utilize that slow cooker for beans and tough cuts of meat. It will make your life much easier.
I make these black beans and serve them with Greek yogurt and cilantro on day one. As Encore meals I like to serve Black Bean and Butternut Squash Tacos and Spicy Black Bean Burgers. Both of these recipes will be posted in the next few days on Call Me PMc. Bookmark my site or sign up for my weekly email newsletter so you don’t miss a single new recipe!
Both of these black bean recipes start with this basic recipe for Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans. For this recipe, you simply put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 8 hours. That’s it.
Black beans make a healthier alternative for traditional ‘meaty’ meals. I try to serve one meatless meal a week. It’s about all I can get away with my house full of men. Slowly, I’m trying to get more vegetables into them!
Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans
Black beans are economical at pennies a serving and pack a nutritional punch as well! One 1/2 cup serving of black beans contains 14 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. They also contain phytonutrients like saponins, anthocyanins, kaempferol, and quercetin, all of which possess antioxidant properties.
Dried black beans are easy to cook. I prefer to cook them myself for recipes instead of using canned black beans. By doing this, I can control the sodium in them.
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Spicy Homemade Black Bean Burgers
- Fajita Seasoned Chicken Black Beans and Corn Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Black Bean Salsa
- Black Bean Tomato Quinoa Salad with Texas Vinaigrette
Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 pound black beans dried
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 slice bacon
- 24 Hour method: Place the dried beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak for 24 hours. Drain and rinse the beans before proceeding.
- Quick method (I prefer the other way 24 Hour method) Add beans to a large pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the beans to sit in the hot water for one hour. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water before proceeding with the recipe.
- To slow cooker, add beans, water, bay leaf, salt, diced onion, chopped garlic, and bacon.
- Cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Serve hot with sour cream, cilantro, pico, or your preference.
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday at Southern Plate
Oh my. This looks delicious.. Thank you for sharing this Paula and have blessed 2016!
Looks really good! Love anything slow-cooker!