Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam is a sweet, rich, and versatile condiment. With minimal ingredients, this is an easy recipe to make and adds so much flavor to whatever you add it.
Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam has caramelized onions cooked down into a jam-like consistency with apple cider, apple juice, garlic, and spices. It has a deep, intense flavor that kicks up any recipe you add it to.
It makes a good condiment on sandwiches and burgers. Top grilled pork or chicken to add a unique flavor. Serve over cream cheese or goat cheese for a quick and easy dip. Add this Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam to grilled cheese, mashed potatoes, or mac and cheese. The possibilities are endless!
Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam
I used Vidalia onions for my jam, but you could use red, white, or yellow. I prefer the slight sweetness Vidalia onions gives the jam. You will not have that slightly sweet flavor using another variety, but your Onion Jam will still be good if you choose to go with another onion variety.
Caramelizing onions properly takes time. You want to cook them low and slow to bring out the most flavor. It took me about an hour to caramelize the onions. I then added the apple cider, apple juice, and other ingredients and cooked it until the liquid evaporated.
For proper canning procedures, follow the instructions recommended by the jar manufacturer.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY
- Bourbon Honey Steak Bites
- Bacon Jam
- Sausage Rotel
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes
- Chili Cheese Dip
- White Queso
- Captain Rodney’s Dip
- Green Chile Cheddar Dip
- Hot Honey Brie Bites
- Sriracha Comeback Sauce
- Cheesy Sausage Dip
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
Tried this recipe? Consider leaving a 5-star rating, please.
Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 6 large sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Dice onions.
- Heat a large pan on low.
- Add butter and melt.
- Add onions and garlic and good on low 50 to 60 minutes until onions are soft and browned. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Add pepper, salt, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice to pan.
- Cook another 10 to 20 minutes or until liquid is cooked out and onions are a jam-like consistency.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
- Follow proper canning procedures for storage longer than one week.