Bourbon Honey Steak Tips – This recipe makes tender, succulent, flavorful, and easy steak tips that are perfect for a fast meal or hearty appetizer.
BOURBON HONEY STEAK TIPS
These steak bites are slightly sweet, a little salty, and have a wonderful hint of bourbon. The marinade is spectacular. However, you don’t have to just use this marinade for steak tips, it’s great on a whole steak. For an 8 or 12 ounce steak, I recommend marinating it for 4 to 6 hours so the flavor really penetrates the protein.
THE SECRET TO PERFECT STEAK TIPS
- Marinating long enough.
- Cooking in a cast iron skillet.
- Cooking at a really high temperature.
These juicy, tender steak bites take only 10 minutes to make. However, for optimum flavor, I recommend marinating them for a couple of hours.
Searing in a really hot cast iron skillet until the outside is charred but the inside remains juicy really adds a jolt of flavor!
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Steak. If I’m going to eat steak, I eat good steak. I prefer filet, ribeye, or a strip steak for steak tips. For cheaper cuts, I recommend tri-tip or top sirloin. For cheaper cuts of beef, you can marinate them longer.
- Bourbon. You can use any bourbon of your choice. As with wine, I don’t use a bourbon when cooking that I wouldn’t drink. Subsequently, you can use whiskey, rum, brandy, or cognac. Red wine is another alternative. Furthermore, the alcohol dissipates leaving only the wonderful flavor. With that being said, I understand some readers don’t drink or cook with alcohol. You can get liquor extracts (aka liquor essence) that are formulated without alcohol (get them here). Add 1 teaspoon bourbon extract to 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth for the most authentic replacement for bourbon in this recipe. If you don’t care about the bourbon flavor at all, you can simply use low-sodium beef broth. (get it here)
- Honey. You can substitute agave nectar, coconut sugar, or brown sugar.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper. If you use ground pepper, do yourself a favor and purchase a pepper mill and black peppercorns! Freshly ground black pepper is 100x better than powdery pre-ground black pepper! (I LOVE this automatic pepper grinder. It runs off batteries. Most pepper mills will come filled with peppercorns then you simple reorder when it’s out. Don’t purchase a huge bag of peppercorns, like other spices they do get old and lose flavor. I like this brand of peppercorns.)
WHILE YOU’RE HERE CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- JP’s Steak Bites
- Hamburger Steak with Onions and Brown Gravy
- Orange & Jalapeno Marinated Grilled Flat Iron Steak
- Balsamic Butter Sauce over New York Strip Steaks
Bourbon Honey Steak Tips
- See post above for substitutions
- Heat your cast iron pan on medium-high heat. When it's hot add vegetable oil and butter. Once the oil and butter ripple, add steak.
- You probably need to cook it in a couple of batches. You don't want to crowd the pan so that the steak sear and don't steam.
- Cook until seared on all sides. Remove from pan. Pour pan drippings over the top.
- Garnish as desired.