Super cheesy and creamy, Cheesy Chicken Rotini will become your new favorite, go-to weeknight recipe! Made with common, pantry staples, you can have this on the table in a flash!
This recipe is definitely comforting food to the max.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use thighs.
As well, if you don’t like cheddar cheese, Pepper Jack, Monterrey, and Colby would all make lovely substitutions.
All pasta taste the same regardless of the shape so use what you have in the pantry. However, this recipe will be good with gluten-free pasta. I’ve recently started using vegetable pasta and chickpea pasta if you want to give them a try. (Click the link for the recommended brand.)
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY CHICKEN ROTINI
- I don’t like canned chicken. Therefore, start by cubing your boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Next, boil your noodles.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken and start cooking it in a large pan.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the cooked pasta, cream of mushroom, chicken broth, sour cream, and 1.5 cups cheese to the pan with the chicken.
- All that is left is to stir it together, top it with the remaining cheese, and replace the lid until the cheese melts.
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SUBSTITUTE
You can make a roux with the recipe and ingredients below OR you can use two cans Cream of Mushroom
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Sweet Heat Chicken Kabobs
- Crock Pot Rotel Crack Chicken
- Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken
- Undercover Foil Pack Chicken
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken Recipe
- 9 Delicious 20 Minute Dinners
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Cheesy Chicken Rotini
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 to 3 large chicken breast boneless & skinless (chicken thighs can be used, or cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup OR see substitution in post
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 16 ounces rotini pasta or any shape
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Use a large skillet, saucepan, or Dutch oven that's large enough to hold the pasta too. Spray your pan with non-stick spray. Season chicken with pepper, garlic, onion, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add the seasoned chicken to your large pan and cook, stirring often 5 to 6 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add cooked pasta, cream of mushroom, chicken broth, sour cream, and 1.5 cups cheese to the pan with the chicken and stir to combine. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Cover pan and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until everything is heated through and cheese on top is melted.