Cheesy Tomato Casserole Recipe is an easy two-step side dish recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes.
Are you looking for a fun new vegetable side dish? I think you’ll like this Cheesy Tomato Casserole Recipe.
This side dish is so simple to make and insanely delicious. Great for the tomato lovers in your life. It’s much easier than Tomato Pie but has the same flavors.
The buttery crackers kind of make this dish. Buttery crackers kind of make everything better, right?
Cheesy Tomato Casserole Recipe
- Fresh or canned whole tomatoes may be used in this recipe. For fresh tomatoes, peel and cut into chunks. Remove most of the pulp and seeds then drain thoroughly. Canned diced tomatoes have too much juice so I prefer canned whole tomatoes. Cut them into fourths and drain before stirring together with remaining ingredients.
- I use Ritz brand crackers, Club is also a good choice.
- I prefer a Texas sweet or Vidalia onion in this recipe.
- Dried basil is a must!
- 1 35-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped*
- 1/2 cup butter crackers crushed into crumbs (about 15 crackers) (reserve 2 tablespoon for topping)
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese reserve 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped I prefer a sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Layer tomatoes in an 8 inch round or square baking dish.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Keep out 2 tablespoons of crushed crackers and 2 tablespoon shredded cheese for top
Spoon over tomatoes.
Sprinkle reserved crackers and cheese over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
*Fresh tomatoes may be used in this recipe. Peel, squeeze out as much of the pulp and seeds as you can, and allow the tomatoes to drain 10 minutes before proceeding.Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.