Creamy Barbecue Shrimp recipe is life changing! These shrimp are creamy, savory, and a little spicy.
Shrimp is one of my very favorite foods.
- It cooks fast.
- It cooks easily for a few or a crowd.
- It can be served as an appetizer or entrée.
- It can be elegant or down-home simple.
The first time I had BBQ Shrimp I was a little
surprised confused! Where’s the barbecue sauce? Where’s the grill?
Basically, Barbecue Shrimp is butter, hot sauce and black pepper. That’s it. It’s that simple.
But, boy oh boy, is it good!
But, you know me, I couldn’t leave well enough alone. I decided to add heavy cream to the sauce for Creamy Barbecue Shrimp.
Whew, Creamy Barbecue Shrimp is ‘slap yo momma good!’ (Have you ever heard that Southern saying? Do not go slap your Mother.
It just means it very, VERY good!)
If you want the traditional BBQ Shrimp, don’t add the cream. It’s totally delish. If you want a little extra decadence go for the creamy sauce.
I served this as an appetizer. I think it would be great over pasta as an entrée.
Traditionally, Creamy Barbecue Shrimp is made with head on shrimp.
I can’t do head on shrimp, although it probably makes it more flavorful.
Go for it if the heads don’t bother you!
- 3-4 pounds jumbo shrimp shells on (you can do heads on if you prefer)
- 1/2 c olive oil
- Juice of 8 lemons reserve 6 to 8 lemon halves
- 3/4 c Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c hot sauce
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 2 T salt
- 2 T cracked back pepper
- 1 sticks butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 c heavy cream
- Place shrimp in a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Add olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and hot sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place butter over shrimp. Smash garlic cloves and add to pan. Add 6 to 8 juiced lemon halves to pan. Heat broiler to high. Place rack 6 inches from heat. Broil shrimp 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking. Remove pan from oven. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from dish and place in a shallow bowl. Carefully strain drippings into a 2 quart saucepan. (discard lemon rinds and garlic) Heat sauce on medium heat. Add cream and whisk. When sauce is hot, pour over shrimp.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
Find more shrimp recipes on callmepmc.com like this Creamy BBQ Shrimp here in the Seafood tab!