The Creamy Barbecue Shrimp recipe is life-changing! These shrimp are creamy, savory, and a little spicy. Perfect for any occasion!
This Big Easy favorite recipe is shrimp smothered in a creamy, buttery, and rich sauce. I kicked up the traditional NOLA barbecue shrimp by adding heavy cream to the rich buttery sauce.
Another quick meal if you like shrimp is this Shrimp Pad Thai.
On a side note… is it barbecue? barbeque? bar-b-q? or BBQ? 😲 And, WHY are there so many variations of the same word? (The English language drives me nuts!! …American English, well, and then there’s Southern English… 🤦🏼♀️
What is New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp?
Well, it’s not barbecue in the traditional way. And, it’s also not cooked on a grill. Perplexed? I was too.
New Orleans style barbecue shrimp aren’t cooked on the grill and they don’t have bbq sauce on them. Instead, they’re cooked on the stovetop in
You’ll find barbecue shrimp on a lot of restaurant menus in New Orleans. I’ve never had barbecue shrimp in a restaurant that was made with shelled shrimp. They all have been in-shell but they would be so much easier to eat shelled. As well, some restaurants serve them with the head on and some with the head off.
Furthermore, it can be an appetizer and an entree. Regardless of how you serve it, offer ample crusty French bread to soak up the wonderful buttery.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- First, shrimp cooks fast.
- You can alter the recipe easily for a few or a crowd.
- This recipe is great as an appetizer or entrée.
- Finally, Barbecue Shrimp can be elegant or down-home simple.
Barbecue Shrimp Ingredietns
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
- Shrimp, large to jumbo size
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
- Heavy cream
Creamy Barbecue Shrimp
Traditional BBQ Shrimp doesn’t have heavy cream. It’s totally delish and basically the only difference for ‘creamy bbq shrimp’ is the addition of cream. Prepare it both ways and see which style you prefer.
Oftentimes, I serve this as an appetizer. However, it’s great over pasta or grits as an entrée. We love New Orlean’s food including New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp Pasta, Shrimp Po’ Boy Sandwich, Shrimp Crawfish and Scallop Jambalaya, and Shrimp Pasta in Spicy New Orleans Tomato Sauce.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated April 24, 2013. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Creamy Barbeque Shrimp
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 3-4 pounds jumbo shrimp shells on, you can do head-on if you want
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 large lemons juiced, reserve 6 to 8 lemon halves
- ¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cracked back pepper
- ½ cup butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place shrimp in a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Add olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and hot sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place butter over shrimp. Smash garlic cloves and add to the pan. Add 6 to 8 juiced lemon halves to the pan. Heat broiler to high.
- Place rack 6 inches from heat. Broil shrimp for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the dish and place it in a shallow bowl. Carefully strain drippings into a 2-quart saucepan. (discard lemon rinds and garlic) Heat sauce on medium heat. Add cream and whisk. When the sauce is hot, pour over the shrimp.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
- Balsamic Fig Glazed ChickenBalsamic Fig Glazed Chicken is a delightful blend of savory and sweet. Indulge your taste buds in a culinary adventure with this exquisite recipe.
- Cheddar Beef Texas Hash: A One-Pan Flavor ExplosionCheddar Beef Texas Hash is an easy one-pan dish combines the richness of ground beef, the sweetness of onions and peppers, the boldness of garlic and spices, and the creaminess of cheddar cheese, all over a bed of perfectly cooked rice.
- How often should you clean your carpet? Experts weigh inDo you know how often you should clean your carpets? Neglecting this important household chore can impact the appearance of your home and your health.
- Easy Southwest Salad RecipeThe Southwest salad is the perfect amalgamation of vibrant ingredients that offer a delightful and fulfilling culinary experience.
- 19 Top Kid Requested Meals19 Top Kid Requested Meals. Whether you have picky eaters or children that will eat anything, there are certain foods that always pop up on the lists of kids’ favorites. I have put together 19 Top Dinner Requests Made by Kids for your arsenal of kid-pleasing recipes. They are easy to make and delicious to eat.
- Sheet Pan PancakesSheet Pan Pancakes is a pancake made in a sheet pan. It’s easy, fast, and delicious!