Creamy Vidalia Onion Casserole Recipe is a simple and tasty side dish that made with sweet onions and cream sauce. It’s a nice change for a big meal or a holiday dinner.
If you like onions, you’ll love this onion casserole recipe. Made with Vidalia onions it has a sweet and mild flavor.
If you don’t like onions, this casserole will probably change your opinion!
No family dinner or holiday celebration is complete without a casserole. This one is simple to make and tastes amazing.
I bet you have onions in your pantry right now. You add them to casseroles and other recipes. However, have you ever thought of letting onions be the star of the show in their very own casserole?
You probably have everything you need to make this Creamy Vidalia Onion Casserole Recipe.
Creamy Vidalia Onion Casserole Recipe
I recommend cooking the onions for about 10 minutes or until they’re soft before assembling the casserole. This mellows the flavor.
As well, I highly recommend you seek out Vidalia onions or other sweet onions for this casserole.
I love crackers mixed with butter as a topping for casseroles as you can probably tell by my Squash Casserole and Corn Casserole. However, cheese would be an alternate topping. Cheddar, Colby, Havarti, or any good melty cheese would make a splendid topping.
When adding cheese, top the casserole with the cheese the last 10 minutes of cooking. The cheese should be melted and bubbly and starting to brown on the top.
More delicious onion recipes from Call Me PMc!
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Easy Old Fashioned Scalloped Onion Casserole
- 2 pounds sweet onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use the convection setting if available. Spray 2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Cook on the stovetop on medium-low until they get soft about 20 minutes. (you can skip this step if you like the onions more firm.) Layer the onions in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of flour, salt, and pepper.
- Pour heavy cream over the onions in the dish.
- Combine crushed crackers and butter and toss to coat. Sprinkle evenly over the onions.
- Cook 30 to 35 minutes. Serve