Dulce de Leche Churro Muffins are fast, easy, and tasty. They are crispy & cinnamon-sugary on the outside, light & fluffy on the inside.
DULCE DE LECHE CHURRO MUFFINS
These are a cross between a muffin and a donut hole. Because these churro muffins are baked, not fried, you don’t have to feel guilty about popping them!
You can have these on your table in 20 minutes making for a super-fast, delicious breakfast. It sure beats cereal or a granola bar!
I used a standard size muffin pan for these muffins and go 12 domed-shaped bakery-style muffins. As well you can make them mini, I like this mini muffin pan. You can also bake them as regular size donuts or mini donuts. For minis, you’ll get about 18. However, another bonus with this recipe, you can easily double it if needed.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE CHURRO MUFFINS?
- Flour. All-purpose
- Baking powder and Baking soda. Baking powder and baking soda create air bubbles and add lift to the muffins.
- Eggs. Large eggs at room temperature.
- Milk. It’s best with whole milk, but you can sub almond or another plant-based milk.
- Sour cream. Whenever you have sour cream in a baked recipe you can almost always substitute Greek yogurt or buttermilk. In fact, I almost always use Greek yogurt simply because it has more protein. These ingredients make for super moist, tender muffins.
- Brown sugar. Brown sugar is brown as well as slightly sticky because it has molasses in it. Light brown sugar has less while Dark brown sugar has more. Therefore, brown sugar has more flavor than granulated white sugar. It’s also why sugar cookies (that use white sugar) are light and chocolate chip cookies are brown. A lot of time you can sub brown sugar for white sure in a recipe. However, it will slightly change the favor.
- Sugar. Granulated white sugar. As well, you can use a 1-to-1 sugar substitute.
- Butter. The rule for baking is to use unsalted butter. However, you can use salted butter and the recipe will turn out just fine. If you use salted butter, you may want to reduce the amount of salt you add to the recipe.
INGREDIENTS THAT FLAVOR THE CHURRO MUFFINS
- Cinnamon. Adds flavor.
- Nutmeg. – the secret ingredient included in bakery muffins
- Salt. Salt enhances the flavor of the ingredients.
- Vanilla extract. I prefer pure vanilla over imitation vanilla.
- Cajeta. – Cajeta is a type of dulce de leche or thick caramel sauce. However, it’s made with goat’s milk. Whereas, dulce de leche is made with cow’s milk. You can use either in this recipe. Typically, cajeta is found in the Mexican aisle of the store and dulce de leche will either by with the Mexican food or near the condensed milk.
TIPS FOR THE BEST
- You can fill the center with cajeta or dulce de leche or you can drizzle over the top.
- Nutmeg is the secret ingredient in bakery muffins and it gives the perfect flavor.
- Bake the muffins at a high temperature for the first 5 minutes to help them rise beautifully like bakery muffins. After 5 minutes turn the temperature down to 350° to finish baking.
HOW DO I STORE CHURRO MUFFINS?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
CAN DULCE DE LECHE MUFFINS BE FROZEN?
You can freeze these muffins for up to 2 weeks.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Click the title or the photo to get the recipe.
- Peanut Butter Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread
- Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Dulce de Leche Mousse
- Strawberry Almond Milk Coconut Oil Muffins Healthy Breakfast
- 16 Homemade Energy Bars
DULCE DE LECHE CHURRO MUFFINS
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter unsalted at room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream buttermilk or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter unsalted, melted
- Cajeta or dulce de leche
- Preheat the oven to 425° and place muffin liners in a muffin pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the eggs and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Beat in the milk, sour cream, and vanilla until combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just till combined.
- Do not overmix or the muffins can become dense.
- Fill the cupcake liners even with the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, reduce the heat to 350° and continue baking for 15 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Brush one of the muffins with melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Repeat until all the muffins have been rolled in the cinnamon sugar.
- Fill a piping bag with a large circle tip, with the cajeta, then press the tip into the center of the muffin and pipe the cajeta into the muffins. Or, drizzle the cajeta over the tops.
- Serve with coffee or milk for a delicious snack.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze these muffins for up to 2 weeks.
You can also find great recipes at Recipe Index or Weekend Potluck
Mandy Applegate says
These came out perfectly, I loved the flavor combinations, they were eaten within minutes and I’ve had to promise to make churo muffins again!
Oh wow, these were a delicious treat! This satisfied my craving for churros plus some!
Mmmm…. These delicious muffins made waking up on a weekend such a happy event! Absolutely delicious!
Shelby Stover says
I had to resist eating them ALL because they smelled so good!!
laura l sampson says
these muffins are amazing!!
Heck yes! Wow are these muffins good! They’re so moist, so flavorful – now I want another!
The flavor combination is fantastic. Love this muffin recipe!