I”m finally posting Ryder’s Shortcut Rainbow Cake that I made for his birthday….
….his birthday was in March! Ha! I know, I’ve had a backlog of recipes for you.
I suppose I’m finally posting it since the boys have been at camp for a few days. It’s been crazy around the Jones house with them finishing school, the holiday, then going to camp.
I needed a break. Thankfully, I had a couple of days to recover and get organized while they were at camp.
Wesley picked the boys up from camp and Ryder couldn’t wait to update me on all the happenings. The first thing he proclaimed when he was me was
Mommie, I didn’t take a shower the whole time I was there!!
Mmmmmmm, that’s just lovely! I still hugged his sweet little neck
stinky camp odor and all!!
Easy Rainbow Cake
Ryder asked for a Rainbow Cake for his last two birthdays. To be honest, I didn’t want to take the time to make it. Yes, it’s pretty, but sometimes, I’m slightly impatient. I just didn’t want to take the time to make it. After telling him no, I reconsidered and decided to surprise him. I made it in the simplest way I could using a white cake mix. This is how I did it.
I used a cake mix for the cake. And, instead of regular food coloring, I used food coloring by Wilton that’s designed to go in cake icing. These icing colors gave the layers intense colors that didn’t fade with baking.
Use a white cake mix and only use the whites of the eggs or the yolk will alter the color.
To add this gel icing coloring, I use the end of a clean knife and dip it in only once.
You’ll need to separate the cake batter into 4 (or how ever many different colors you’re using) small bowls of equal portions.
Run that knife through the batter, then mix together with a spoon.
Wash knife or use a new one each time in order to not contaminate the colors.
I used four 8 inch cake pans for the layers: yellow, orange, red, and purple.
Previously, I baked cakes and sold them to the public, so I have plenty of cake pans. If you don’t have four pans, bake them in different batches. These layers only took 12 to 15 minutes to bake.
After the layers cooled, I frosted them with Cream Cheese frosting.
Are you ready for this beautiful cake?
Easy Rainbow Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites (Do not use yolks, his will alter the color when adding food coloring.)
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1/3 c canola oil
- Wilton icing color
- Mix cake according to package directions.
- For 4 layers, scoop approximately 1 1/2 cups of batter into 4 separate bowls. Get as close to even as you can so the layers will be the same size. (I actually used an ice cream scoop adding a scoop to each bowl until all the batter was divided out.)
- Mix icing color into cake batter until desired color is reached. (Color will darken while baking.)
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cake is set in the center.
- Cool completely before frosting with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Don’t miss these great cakes: