This Easy Rainbow Cake will make you extra happy because it starts with a boxed cake mix. This rainbow layer cake is pure joy! It’s vibrant inside with colors of the rainbow and luscious outside with
EASY RAINBOW CAKE
Ryder asked for a Rainbow Cake for his last two birthdays. Honestly, I didn’t want to take the time to make it.
Initially, I said no but reconsidered and surprised him. Making it as easy as I could, I started with cake mix. This is how I did it.
After mixing the batter, you will need to divide it into bowls to add the food color. (You can make as many different layers as you want. I have made this cake from four colors to seven colors.)
I used a cake mix for the cake. And, instead of regular food coloring, I used food coloring by Wilton that’s designed to go in cake icing. These icing colors gave the layers intense colors that didn’t fade with baking.
Use a white cake mix and only use the whites of the eggs or the yolk will alter the color.
ADDING THE COLOR
To add this gel icing coloring, I use the end of a clean knife and dip it in only once.
You’ll need to separate the cake batter into 4 (or however many different colors you’re using) small bowls of equal portions.
Run that knife through the batter, then mix together with a spoon.
Wash knife or use a new one each time in order to not contaminate the colors.
I used four 8 inch cake pans for the layers: yellow, orange, red, and purple.
Previously, I baked cakes and sold them to the public, so I have plenty of cake pans. If you don’t have four pans, bake them in different batches. These layers only took 12 to 15 minutes to bake.
It doesn’t take much of the coloring, less than 1/8 tsp, for the results I got.
Red (it’s more hot pink) – it doesn’t show well in photos.
and the blue layer!
After the layers cooled, I frosted them with Cream Cheese frosting.
Are you ready for this beautiful cake?
If you like to bake and decorate yummy cakes, try these recipes too!
- Easy Key Lime Cake
- Peppermint Candy Three Layer Cake
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Lemon Layer Cake
- Toffee Banana Layer Cake
- Red Velvet Layer Cake
- Gingerbread Layer Cake
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
Easy Rainbow Cake
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 15.25 oz box white cake mix
- 4 large egg whites Do not use yolks, his will alter the color when adding food coloring.
- 1 and ¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- Wilton icing color
- Mix cake according to package directions.
- For 4 layers, scoop approximately 1 and 1/2 cups of batter into 4 separate bowls. Get as close to even as you can so the layers will be the same size. (I actually used an ice cream scoop adding a scoop to each bowl until all the batter was divided out.)
- Mix icing color into cake batter until the desired color is reached. (Color will darken while baking.)
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cake is set in the center.
- Cool completely before frosting with Cream Cheese Frosting.