Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Pecans is a classic side dish recipe in the South for the holidays. It’s simple to prep and has wonderful flavor and texture.
This recipe is different from the Candied Sweet Potato recipe I grew up eating. Basically, sweet potato slices were baked in a simple syrup solution until the potatoes were tender and the syrup thick. This recipe is a hybrid of a traditional sweet potato casserole with pecan and brown sugar topping and the one I grew up eating. It’s really the best of the best.
GLAZED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS
For this casserole, I sliced sweet potatoes and layered them in a baking dish much like scalloped potatoes. They cook in a sweet liquid of butter and orange juice. Lastly, for the topping, I used pecans and brown sugar for incredible flavor and texture.
SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS?
I used sweet potatoes not yams. There is a difference and if you what to know hop over to this post and read it. Most all the ‘orange’ potatoes in the grocery stores in the US are actually sweet potatoes. They may be labeled as yams, but chances are high that they are not.
ARE SWEET POTATOES HEALTHY?
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious and low glycemic food. Sweet potatoes are a low-calorie, fat-free, nutrient-dense source of healthy carbohydrates, fiber, and many vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C.
The secret is slicing the sweet potatoes really thin. The best way to get thin slices is with a mandoline food slicer. (A mandoline is absolutely NOT something you want kids to use. For adults, ALWAYS wear gloves and use the pusher when slices with it! There are very sharp and very dangerous.)
HOW TO MAKE GLAZED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch slices (The thinner the better.) and place them in a 9×13-inch baking dish. If they break apart while cooking, that’s okay.
- Melt butter and mix it with orange juice, salt, and maple syrup. Pour over your sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook.
- Halfway through cooking, uncover the sweet potatoes and add your brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon.
- It’s just that easy!
More side dishes you’ll love!
- Creamy Parmesan Cauliflower
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Bang Bang Baked Cauliflower
- How to microwave a sweet potato
- Scalloped Mascarpone Cauliflower
- Baked General Tso’s Cauliflower
- Keto Broccoli Casserole
- Panko Crusted Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
GLAZED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Preheat your oven to 350°Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice your sweet potatoes. About ⅛-inch thick. Layer them in a baking dish.
- Melt your butter and mix with orange juice, maple syrup, and salt. Pour this mixture over your sweet potatoes.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with foil and cook in your oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop pecans and mix them with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven after 30 minutes and remove the foil, sprinkle the pecan/sugar mixture on top evenly. Put back in the oven for another 30 minutes, without foil. (If the potatoes look dry, you can spoon some of the orange juice at the bottom of your dish on top.
- If you’d like to caramelize the brown sugar, broil for an additional 2-3 minutes. And then remove from the oven.
- Cool about 5 minutes before serving (the sugar on top gets really hot!) Enjoy.