Microwave Baked Sweet Potato Recipe, a quick cooked sweet potato is one of my favorite side dishes. Sweet potatoes are delicious as well as packed with nutrients. You can quickly microwave ‘bake’ a sweet potato for a healthy snack, light lunch, or side dish.
A lot of people don’t know you can microwave an Irish potato and sweet potato and it is just as good as baking it. I’m here to tell you and show you that it is.
Why eat sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium. The most abundant vitamins and minerals in sweet potato are vitamins A, C, B5, B6, E, and manganese. They are also high in fiber.
The nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw sweet potatoes are:
- Calories: 86
- Water: 77%
- Protein: 1.6 grams
- Carbs: 20.1 grams
- Sugar: 4.2 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
Because sweet potatoes are delicious and healthy, they should be in our diets more. Another bonus, they can be easy to make!!
Microwave Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- Wash the sweet potato and prick the skin with a fork.
- While it’s still damp from washing, wrap the potato in plastic wrap.
- Place in the microwave on a paper towel or plate to catch any drips.
- Microwave the potato 2 to 3 minutes, turn the potato on the other side and microwave another 2 to 3 minutes.
- If you’re cooking multiple sweet potatoes, you will need to add two minutes per side for each additional potato cooked in the microwave.
- Here’s the important part that no one else tells you, allow your sweet potato to sit 6 to 8 minutes to steam before unwrapping and cutting into it.
When is the sweet potato cooked through?
Your sweet potato will be soft when squeezed when it is done.
Wear an oven mitt or double a dish towel and give it a good squeeze. It will be soft and ‘squishy’. When you take the plastic wrap off, the skin should peel away easily. (You don’t have to peel it, the skin is edible too!)
How do I eat a sweet potato?
- Slice the potato open like you would a baked potato and simply add salt.
- You can also add a pat of butter.
- A pat of butter with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon is a quick, easy, and healthier version of a sweet potato casserole.
- For a ‘fancy’ sweet potato, try my Twice Baked Walnut Streusel Sweet Potatoes or this Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
What do I serve with Microwave Baked Sweet Potato Recipe?
Anything! Everything! 😀
Seriously, whenever you serve potatoes, you can substitute sweet potatoes. Here are a few suggestions:
- Bourbon Marinated Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Sweet Heat Chicken Kabobs
- 6 Minute Flat Iron Steak
- Pork Chops 3 Ways
Microwave Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ⅛ teaspoon salt if desired, more if necessary
- 1 tablespoon butter if desired, more if necessary
- Wash the sweet potato and prick holes in the skin with a fork.
- Wrap the potato in plastic wrap.
- Microwave 2 to 3 minutes then turn over and microwave another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Squeeze potato, it should be soft. Allow to sit, unwrapped, for 8 minutes.
- I like to roll it a few times on the counter before cutting into the potato to fluff it before cutting and adding toppings.
You can also find great recipes at Recipe Index or at Meal Plan Monday or Weekend Potluck
karen Pecore says
why wrap sweet potato in plastic??
I’ve found it holds in moisture and makes them better.