One Pot Cheesy Chicken contains family favorite flavors and ingredients you have in stock. Tender chicken is draped in a creamy, cheesy sauce in this easy and delicious meal.
The history of this recipe goes back many years. Funny thing, Wesley’s ex-girlfriend gave me the recipe. (They were dating at the time. We weren’t dating at the time.) So I had it and made it for years. Fast forward a few years. We had been dating for a few months and we’re talking about what to make for dinner. I was like, oh, I have this great chicken recipe, totally forgetting where it came from. So I dug it out and he was like, “That’s my Cheesy Chicken Recipe!”
How random is that?
So in actuality, this is Wesley’s recipe. He made it in college for all his friends. Even when he lived in the dorm and only had one burner, he made it! He had friends show up at his door with all the ingredients asking, “Will you please make that chicken?” Because I’m sure he stayed in his apartment when he wasn’t in class, studying and being a good student and had plenty of time to cook Cheesy Chicken for everyone.
But, the best story of all about this amazing recipe is when one of his buddies asked him to make it to impress a date. Particularly, he wanted to Wesley to make it, but pretend he made it to impress this chick! hahaha, I love that!
So yeah, it’s good.
One Pot Cheesy Chicken
Now, this cheese sauce is really rich. You’ll want to balance this dish with a green salad or fresh green vegetable. Or maybe not. Totally your choice. But it is rich.
And with any recipe, whether it’s his or mine, Big Daddy has an opinion about how it should be made. You can find his exact version of Cheezy Chicken here. I
tweaked it made it better 🙂 and my version with the ever-so-slight changes is what you’ll find below.
You’ll want to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I like to butterfly the chicken then I place each breast in a freezer zip-top bag. I use the freezer type because it’s thicker. Then I pound the chicken flat to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch uniform thickness. You could also cut the chicken into cubes if you prefer. I like the full breasts because it makes a prettier presentation, especially if you’re serving this One Pot Cheesy Chicken to Guests.
Velveeta cheese doesn’t grate easily. The colder it is, the easier it is to grate. Do the best you can, it’s going to melt anyway.
When adding salt to this recipe, I recommend adding very little to begin with. The cheese and cream of mushroom soup are both salty, it’s easier to add more than to take it out. You can always add more salt at the table.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 4 large chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk* I used 2%
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup*
- 1 and 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese grated (it grates easier when really cold)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Butterfly and flatten 4 chicken breasts to a uniform thickness.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over both sides of chicken.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken.
- Dredge chicken in flour and coat both sides then add chicken to casserole dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk milk and cream of mushroom soup. Add cheese and whisk to combine all.
- Turn chicken and pour cheese mixture over chicken. Return to oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
More chicken recipes