Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes are rich, dark chocolate cake is topped with creamy, deliciously decadent buttercream filled with crushed Oreo cookies.
Do you like Oreos? Do you eat them whole or break them apart and lick the center out? Haha. I’m a purist and eat them whole. I do love Oreos baked into desserts and especially this frosting.
These cupcakes were a hit at my boys’ school parties. The frosting is rich and creamy with that beloved Oreo flavor. I used a basic chocolate cake for the cupcakes.
The moist chocolate cupcake has a mild chocolate flavor. It can be made into three 8-inch layers for a stacked cake, or in a 9×13-inch sheet cake, or 24 standard cupcakes.
If you wanted to make them even quicker and easier you can use a box cake mix for the cupcakes paired with this homemade Oreo frosting. No one will taste the difference!
The Oreo cream frosting tastes just like the cream centers in an Oreo cookie. Honestly, they taste like an ultra-decadent version of the creamy centers. I used my basic Decorator’s Icing for the frosting and folded in crushed Oreo cookies. It is irresistible and very difficult to not eat this frosting straight from the bowl.
OREO FROSTED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
One tip I recommend when making this frosting, don’t crush the Oreos fine. Leave them a little coarse. As well, don’t mix them completely into the frosting, I prefer to leave it streaking where there are bits of Oreo showing and streaks of white frosting showing.
Oreos are great in other desserts. I made an Oreo Cookie Cobbler that’s a family favorite. I highly suggest you try it. Another great dessert with Oreo cookies is my Oreo Cookie Cups which is a great individual-sized dessert.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or real butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs about 12 cookies
Chocolate Cup Cake
- 5 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Directions for Frosting
- Process Oreos in a food processor into crumbs.
- Beat shortening until smooth. With mixer on low, add sugar 1 cup at a time. Blend each addition until smooth. Add water and vanilla and mix until smooth. If mixture is too thick add 1 T of water until desired consistency. Fold in cookie crumbs.
- Tip: Make beforehand and store in an air tight container until needed.
- Frost cookies. You can either spread frosting on with a cake spatula or decorator bag and tip. I used Wilton 4B frosting tip.Cupcakes
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat butter and shortening until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating until blended after each addition
- Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda ; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Fold in egg whites. Using an ice cream scoop fill cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before frosting.
- When cool, frost with Oreo Frosting
You can also find great recipes at Recipe Index and Weekend Potluck.
For more scrumptious recipes, fun projects and exciting news, follow me around the web!
Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
I love oreo and these cupcakes look so delicious. Plus, who can say no to chocolate
These are so rich and delicious. I love the crumbled oreos in the cupcake frosting too. Yum!
Park Rae Bin says
I love it .. i love to make a cupcake
Leslie Pieper-McQueen says
I have a cupcake blog called My Year of Cupcakes. I featured your Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcake recipe on Day 109.
Thanks for the fun recipe!
Thank you for helping me celebrate my birthday and sharing this at the cupcake party!!
Ang, Juggling Act Mama
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! says
Love the oreo frosting! Sounds incredible!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet says
I bet these are so good!!
I love that frosting! thanks for stopping by!
Heather Who Needs a Cape? says
Sinea Pies says
Oooh…this looks SO good! 🙂
thank you so much 🙂
Sweet Posy Dreams says
Oh yum, I bet these were a huge hit.
Eva Gallant says
Yummy sounding cupcakes! and adorable photos!
Kaz @ Melting Moments says
PS. Love the photos!
Kaz @ Melting Moments says
I love oreos and cupcakes. What a delicious combo! Thanks so much for sharing this yummy recipe!
Love the family pics – it's always so fun to see which child looks like which parent (or grandparent in our case!) The cupcakes sound delicious with the Oreo frosting! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!
Oh those look so YUMMY! I am sure the kids all loved them. Thanks for sharing on We Made That!
Krista Low says
These look great!
Amber Brady says
This has my name written all over it! Sounds delicious! Would love for you to come share this & any other recipes over at Sweet & Savory Saturdays! http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com/2013/02/sweet-savory-saturdays-1.html
Hope to see you there!
~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
Midnight Cowgirl says
Yum. These look sound delicious and with the addition of oreos. Heavenly awesome!
Diana - FreeStyleMama says
WOW! Not a big fan of Oreos by themselves, but I do love them cooked/baked into something!! YUM!
I want this cupcake. 🙂