Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes are rich, dark chocolate cake is topped with creamy, deliciously decadent buttercream filled with crushed Oreo cookies.
Do you like Oreos? Do you eat them whole or break them apart and lick the center out? Haha. I’m a purist and eat them whole. I do love Oreos baked into desserts and especially this frosting.
These cupcakes were a hit at my boys’ school parties. The frosting is rich and creamy with that beloved Oreo flavor. I used a basic chocolate cake for the cupcakes.
The moist chocolate cupcake has a mild chocolate flavor. It can be made into three 8-inch layers for a stacked cake, or in a 9×13-inch sheet cake, or 24 standard cupcakes.
If you wanted to make them even quicker and easier you can use a box cake mix for the cupcakes paired with this homemade Oreo frosting. No one will taste the difference!
The Oreo cream frosting tastes just like the cream centers in an Oreo cookie. Honestly, they taste like an ultra-decadent version of the creamy centers. I used my basic Decorator’s Icing for the frosting and folded in crushed Oreo cookies. It is irresistible and very difficult to not eat this frosting straight from the bowl.
OREO FROSTED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
One tip I recommend when making this frosting, don’t crush the Oreos fine. Leave them a little coarse. As well, don’t mix them completely into the frosting, I prefer to leave it streaking where there are bits of Oreo showing and streaks of white frosting showing.
Oreos are great in other desserts. I made an Oreo Cookie Cobbler that’s a family favorite. I highly suggest you try it. Another great dessert with Oreo cookies is my Oreo Cookie Cups which is a great individual-sized dessert.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Directions for Frosting
- Process Oreos in a food processor into crumbs.
- Tip: Make beforehand and store in an air tight container until needed.
- Frost cookies. You can either spread frosting on with a cake spatula or decorator bag and tip. I used Wilton 4B frosting tip.Cupcakes
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat butter and shortening until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating until blended after each addition
- Bake at 325 degrees 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before frosting.
- When cool, frost with Oreo Frosting