A delicious twist on a classic sandwich, Philly Cheese Sausage Dog Recipe is packed with flavor and comes together in about 30 minutes! This recipe is great for weekly family meals. They’ll also be a hit at your next tailgate or cookout!
We like these sandwiches with Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Wedges.
A classic Philly Cheesesteak has thinly sliced steak, melted cheese, and fried onions in a hoagie roll. I used bratwurst, red peppers, onions, cheese sauce, and hoagie rolls. Mine has all the familiar ingredients of the classic sandwich but with a bratwurst. However, you can use any sausage that you like.
We love these because they’re loaded with flavor. They’re also very easy to make!
PHILLY CHEESE SAUSAGE DOG
- First, I like that you can grill this or cook it on the stovetop. I made mine in a skillet.
- It’s also easily customizable. I used bratwurst for my sandwich, but you can really use any sausage.
- Feel free to change the peppers, I don’t like green peppers but if you do, by all means, pile them on.
- If you’re cooking on a grill, you can cook the onions and peppers in a skillet and cover with foil or you can wrap them in foil packs.
- If you don’t want to make the homemade cheese sauce, you can use Cheese Whiz or processed cheese melted with a little milk then stir it until it smooth.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? HERE ARE SOME OF MY MOST POPULAR
- BREAKFAST GRILLED CHEESE RECIPE
- GRAND ESCAPE STEAK SANDWICH
- DOUBLE FISTED FRIED EGG BACON
- AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- BEST PATTY MELT
- SLOPPY STROMBOLI JOE SANDWICHES
Did you love these sandwiches? Be sure to leave a 5-star rating and comment below!
Philly Cheese Sausage Dog
- 6 bratwurst in casings or casings removed and crumbled
- 2 medium bell peppers any color, julienned
- 1 medium onion can use Vidalia, sliced
- 6 medium hoagie rolls or hotdog buns
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking sausage
- Heat a large skillet on medium-low. Add oil to the skillet. When the oil is hot, add sausage. Cook the sausage on the stove for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn to brown all sides.
- Add the pepper and onion slices and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness. (Check the center of the sausage links to make sure they're cooked through.)
- Toast hoagie rolls if desired.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce and simmer until thick. (You'll need to stir it and make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.) Add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove the pan from the heat source.
- Place sausages in buns and top each with peppers. Spoon over the cheese sauce and serve.