A quick Shrimp and Grits recipe for weekday meals. This simple dinner idea is full of flavor. The grits are smooth, creamy and buttery. This shrimp and spicy and tender. A sprinkle of bacon gives this dish a smokey and salty flare.
Even though I make a weekly meal plan, sometimes the week doesn’t go as planned and I have nothing to eat and no time to go the grocery store. That’s when you either get creative or you have pantry recipes. Those fall-back-on recipes that you will always have the ingredients (check out my Pantry Essentials!)
Shrimp and Grits
This dish is Southern comfort food at its best! Tender pan-grilled shrimp is the star of the show on top of creamy, buttery grits in this recipe.
When I want to make a quick meal for my family this recipe always comes to the rescue. As well, shrimp goes nicely with rice, pasta or potatoes.
Did you also know along with being low in fat, shrimp provides key nutrients? Aside from protein, shrimp provides an impressive array of nutrients. Four ounces steamed shrimp contains over 100% of the Daily Value for selenium, as well as vitamin B12, phosphorous, choline, copper, and iodine.
You could use chicken instead of shrimp to make this dish. I would cube chicken boneless, skinless breasts, but you could use thighs. Ths dooking time might take a few minutes longer but it tastes amazing.
For this recipe, you will need one pound of raw shrimp. Click over and watch my tutorial on how to peel and devein shrimp.
Shrimp and Grits
- 1 pound shrimp
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup quick cooking grits not instant
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 6 slices bacon crumbled
- Chopped green onions optional
- Boil shrimp 90 seconds to 1 minute or until done. (Perfectly cooked shrimp curl to form a 'C'. Overcooked shrimp form an 'O'.) peel, sprinkle with red pepper and paprika and set aside.
- Cook bacon then chop.
- Bring broth, cream, butter and the salt to a boil.
- Stir in the grits and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, whisking 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and garlic, cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Spoon the grits into bowls and top with shrimp, bacon, and green onions.
Menu options: Serve with green salad and toasted French bread.
You may also like my Slow Cooker Cheese Grits