Sweet Corn Risotto with Shrimp – Sweet corn adds a nice crunch to creamy risotto, it’s topped with sautéed shrimp and salty bacon for a scrumptious dinner.
I used Imagine vegetable broth for my Corn Risotto. I actually picked up this particular broth for another post I was asked to write. In a rush, I picked up the wrong item. I didn’t even realize it until I got home. All was good though because I use this product anyway and can always cook something with it. I had been craving risotto so it all worked out just fine.
Big Daddy didn’t complain either because he actually had a meal that went together. Sometimes, because of blog deadlines, I’ll serve, I don’t know, something like Huevos Rancheros with Pot Stickers and a side of Bacon Cheddar Turnovers! I mean, that goes together, right? And, where are the greens?!
Sweet Corn Risotto with Shrimp
Anywho… Risotto is a hands-on process. You’ll need to stir almost constantly to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Stirring also ensures the risotto will release the starches and become creamy. Be sure to read this recipe on risotto for more detailed information on how to cook risotto.
This would also be great with scallops if you prefer them instead of shrimp.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Shrimp is cooked when it makes a ‘C’. If it makes an ‘O’, it is overcooked. See how that works?
Corn Risotto with Shrimp
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 and 1/2 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Arborio rice uncooked
- 1 cup sweet corn fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 slice bacon cooked
- 1 pound shrimp peeled with tail on
- 1 tablespoon green onion green parts only, slice thin
- In a 1 and 1/2 quart saucepan, heat the stock to a low simmer.
- Heat a larger saucepan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the oil. When the oil is hot add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir for a minute or two until it becomes lightly toasted.
- Pour wine in. Stir and scrap bottom and sides of pan removing any small bits of flavor. Cook until almost all the wine is absorbed.
- Add salt and pepper to rice.
- Add stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Add another 1/2 cup when almost all is absorbed. Continue this method until all the stock is used. This process will take about 25 minutes.
- The risotto should be creamy and tender. Test to ensure it's cooked through. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add corn when risotto is cooked, allow corn to heat 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- During this process, cook bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain.
- Drain all except 1 tablespoon grease from pan.
- Add shrimp and cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes, turn and cook another 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- To serve, add risotto to plate, top with shrimp and garnish with bacon and green onions.
- Serve immediately.
Get my latest pins
Visit Paula @ CallMePMc.com’s profile on Pinterest.
Hungry for more?
Try my Basic Risotto