Slow Cooker Bourbon Whiskey Meatballs have a generous splash of bourbon and a tangy sauce.
Meatballs are the quintessential party food and my Slow Cooker Bourbon Whiskey Meatballs are perfect for large potlucks or cocktails for a dozen of your friends. The recipe is versatile and economical, as well as, of course, delicious.
And, don’t forget meatballs are great for entertaining, but they are also great in a hoagie bun as a sandwich! Personally, I would load the bun up with meatballs, cheddar cheese, tangy slaw and candied jalapenos!
Most noteworthy, for tender meatballs don’t over work the meat especially important when using a leaner meat like turkey. (Higher fat meats are more tender.) Experts recommend using kitchen gloves and your hands to mix the mixture together so that you can feel the meat. I prefer to use a large spatula. Use what is comfortable to you.
Furthermore, breadcrumbs will help to keep the meatballs tender. Breadcrumbs add moisture to the meatballs and also prevents the meat proteins from shrinking and becoming tough while cooking.
You can make these meatballs either in your slow cooking or on the stove top.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, to your taste
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil*
- ½ cup bourbon (see notes below)
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (or to taste)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- To make the meatballs, mix together the ground beef and ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, salt garlic, thyme, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Shape the meatballs into 1 to 1 and ½ inch diameter.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker.
- Combine Sauce ingredients and pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker 2 to 2 and ½ hours on high.
- Spoon sauce over meatballs as needed. Serve.
Stove top cooking directions.
1. On medium heat, add oil to a large skillet.
2. Place meatballs in a skillet, don't over crowd. You may need to cook in batches.
3. Brown on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side).
4. Remove cooked meatballs from the pan and set aside.
5. Drain off the excess grease and add the sauce ingredients to the pan.
6. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Add the meatballs back to the pan, toss to coat.
8. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Slow Cooker Bourbon Whiskey Meatballs
- I like to put little oil in the bottom of the slow cooker to keep the meatballs from sticking. You can spray it with non-stick vegetable spray and get the same effect.
- I lighten the meatballs a little by using part beef and part turkey. You can use all beef or all turkey if you’d like.
- Personally, I don’t cook with wine or bourbon that I wouldn’t make a drink with, therefore, I used a good bourbon in this recipe. Use your favorite, after all, that’s the flavor you enjoy best.
- As well, you may substitute sorghum or honey for the molasses. I refer the complexity of flavor the molasses gives.
- Adjust the cayenne pepper and hot sauce to your liking.
- I use a 1-inch spring release scoop to measure my meatballs. To me, it’s the easiest way to keep them uniform. For this size meatball, I got approximately 50 meatballs.
You may also like