Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is a delicious, healthy, and wholesome breakfast. This breakfast recipe is packed with nutrients and beautiful seasonal flavors.
This is our favorite fall breakfast with warm cinnamon and in-season apples. Oatmeal has become one of my favorite breakfasts and when it’s as easy as this one, it’ll quickly become your favorite too.
TYPES OF OATS
- You want Old-fashioned rolled oats for overnight oats. Whole oat groats are steamed and, instead of being cut with a metal blade, they are rolled and flattened into flakes, which allows them to cook faster than steel-cut oats.
- Steel-cut oats: Steel-cut oats, also called Scottish or Irish oats. They are processed the least. Steel-cut oats sliced into pieces with steel. This leaves much of the bran intact. Steel-cut oats time the longest time to cook. They’re great for cooking in a slow-cooker.
- Quick or instant oats: Similar to old-fashioned rolled oats, instant oats are the most processed of the three oat varieties. They are pre-cooked, dried, and then rolled and pressed thinner than rolled oats. For these reasons, instant oats cook more quickly than steel-cut or rolled oats. They retain less of their texture and often cook up mushy.
APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL
I used old-fashioned rolled oats for this recipe. I added fresh apples, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. You can add brown sugar if you like. I have also drizzled over Date Syrup instead of adding sugar and it’s amazing!! (Get Date Syrup here.)
You can also add dried cranberries, raisins, or any fruit if you don’t have apples on hand.
More oatmeal recipes you’ll enjoy
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Cups
- Healthy Oatmeal Date Breakfast Cookies
- Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oats
- Greek Yogurt Berry Parfait
- Blueberry Mango Overnight Oats
I updated this post from an earlier version published on January 4, 2013. I made new photos, updated tips, added nutrition information, and simplified the recipe instructions.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Have you tried these cookies? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 and ¾ cups water
- 1 and ½ cups apples diced small, about 3 small apples
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg optional
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped. Optional
- Combine the oats, water, apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- As soon as it boils, reduce heat to low for 4 to 5 minutes or until the oats are soft and the apples are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the coconut sugar to taste. You may need more or less coconut sugar depending on the sweetness of the apples.
- Scoop into serving bowls and top with walnuts or pecans, if desired.