Baked Pumpkin Donuts. The next time you have a craving for one of those sweet, round breakfast treats, aka donuts, skip the oil and try baking them! This easy recipe has healthier ingredients and they’re ready in about 20 minutes.
Who knew a healthy donut could actually taste good? Using small substitutions, I made these donuts healthier with no loss of flavor. As well, they’re so tasty, you won’t realize they’re good for you!
As well, they only take a few minutes to mix together and 11 minutes to bake. They can be on your table in less time than it takes to drive to get fresh donuts from a store. (And, don’t forget they’re much healthier!)
BAKED PUMPKIN DONUTS
Of course, the pumpkin is full of healthy nutrients. I also used whole wheat flour, apple sauce, almond milk, and plant butter. Next, I baked these donuts instead of frying them. (That’s the biggest calorie savings.)
Now, no worries if you don’t have a donut-shaped baking pan. You can make muffins instead.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Flour. First, I used all-purpose flour and a smidgen of whole wheat flour. However, you can use all all-purpose flour.
- Almond milk. As well, you can use almond milk, whole milk (or 1% or 2%), or cashew milk.
- Sugar. I substituted coconut sugar for half of the sugar in these donuts. You can use all coconut sugar or all regular granulated sugar if you will.
- Apple Sauce. I added unsweetened apple sauce and reduced the total amount of fat used. Apple sauce adds moisture without adding very many calories.
- Butter. Finally, I used Shed’s Spread Plant Butter made with olive oil. You can use traditional butter or oil. As well, you can use coconut oil (melted) or solid vegetable shortening melted.
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Peanut Butter Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread
- Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Strawberry Almond Milk Coconut Oil Muffins Healthy Breakfast
- 16 Homemade Energy Bars
- Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
Finally, please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a donut baking pan.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the pumpkin, apple sauce, melted butter, and milk.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Take care and don't over mix!
- Spoon mixture into the prepared doughnut pan. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Remove them from the oven and allow the donuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool for a few more minutes.
- While they're cooling, melt the butter. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl large enough for the donuts to fit in.
- Once the donuts are cool enough to handle, dip them in the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Repeat with all donuts.
- Serve immediately.