Buttermilk Pie Bread Pudding a Southern classic and perpetual favorite Buttermilk Pie becomes the custard in this decadent yet easy bread pudding recipe.
Are you familiar with making bread pudding? It’s an economical dessert to make. That’s why a lot of restaurants have it on the menu. It’s a way for restaurants to use their old bread and not have that waste. Actually, it’s preferable to use old bread rather than fresh bread. Not old like it has mold specks on it, but old as in slightly dried out. When the bread is dry it will absorb the custard better. I usually get french bread that has been discounted at the grocery store for my bread pudding. I save about 50% buying old bread. It adds up.
BUTTERMILK PIE BREAD PUDDING
This dessert recipe is simple to put together, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand all the time. I, basically, combined two Southern classics and put the custard of a Buttermilk pie with a Bread Pudding for this recipe.
Buttermilk Pie has a smooth, sweet, custard-like filling that consists of eggs, buttermilk, sugar,
Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert made with stale bread and milk, eggs, fat, a variety of other ingredients.
This bread pudding is a basic bread pudding on the bottom then has buttermilk pie custard on top. It’s creamy with just the right amount of crust from the bread. It’s rich and decadent without being too sweet. As well, it’s budget-friendly and takes only about 45 minutes from start to finish.
This dessert is best fresh out of the oven maybe even with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
If it isn’t devoured immediately you want to store this moist cake in the refrigerator. When reheating, you could eat it cold, but I recommend heating the leftovers one slice at a time in the oven or toaster oven. This will crisp up the outside again. Although popping it in the microwave is super easy and quick, to me it changes the texture and for once, I’d rather be patient and heat it in the oven.
You’ll enjoy these recipes too!
- Cream Cheese Glazed Carrot Cake Bread Pudding
- Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding
- Pineapple Upside Down Bread Pudding
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
- Stuffed French Toast Bread Pudding.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated April 30, 2013. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions. (The original recipe is in the notes section below in the recipe card.)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Have you tried this bread pudding? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
Buttermilk Pie Bread Pudding
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 5 cups bread cubes 5-6 ounces of bread
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 and ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch pie pan with non-cook spray.
- Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes at 375°F; tossing to dry out the bread.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 Tablespoons melted butter and 1 egg.
- Remove bread from oven and add to milk mixture, stirring to coat. Set aside while you mix the custard filling. Allow it to set for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the custard ingredients and whisk well.
- Add bread crumbs to the pie pan and press down to compact it with the back of the spoon. Pour custard filling over bread. Do not stir.
- Cook in 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is no longer 'jiggly' and golden brown.
- Great served warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 3 c bread cubes
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 T butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c all-purpose
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla