Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding is a classic bread pudding recipe, kicked up with chocolate chunks and rum sauce. This sweet treat is easy to make, and perfect for brunch, dessert, and potlucks!
Rich and creamy, this bread pudding has large chunks of chocolate. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. One bite and you’ll agree that this is the ultimate bread pudding recipe!
Did you run up the credit card bill?
Make Hubs this decadent, sinfully rich Chocolate Bread Pudding!! You know what they say… “Ask for forgiveness, not permission”!
Layers of bread, custard, and chocolate make for the perfect comfort food. Not overly sweet, Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding has more of a cake-like texture than a moist, pudding-like consistency. I formulated this recipe just for the Hubs since I may, or may not, have run the credit card up…
Bread Pudding Recipe Notes
- This is a great way to use day-old bread. Crusty and dry bread will soak up the wonderful custard better.
- I suggest using dark chocolate for this recipe, but any chocolate will do. I used a dark bar, but you can also your chocolate chips.
- Allow at least 10 minutes for the bread to sit and soak in the custard.
- If you don’t like rum, a warm caramel sauce would also be tasty with this Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding.
Pound cakes are some of my popular recipes. You can get all my pound cake recipes here, Pound Cakes Reviewed. Or, 10 Ridiculously Delicious Pound Cake Recipes. As well, these recipes are reader favorites as well. I know you’ll love them too!
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Old Fashioned Blue Ribbon Pound Cake
- Whipping Cream Pound Cake
- Chocolate Frosting with Cocoa Powder and Powdered Sugar
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Crock Pot Crack Hash Brown Potatoes
- Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies
- Million Dollar Pound Cake
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding
Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 16 oz loaf French bread
- 2/3 cup half and half + more if needed
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 4 oz bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped (Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoon dark rum
- 4 oz white chocolate chopped (Ghirardelli bar)
- Combine half and half, and sweetened condensed milk, pour over bread. Allow to sit 10 minutes, carefully stir so that all the bread absorbs the milk at various times.
- Combine eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Add to bread. Stir well.
- Stir in chopped chocolate. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13×9 inch pan.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees 45 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
- Cool. Cut into squares and serve warm with Rum Sauce.