Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies are thick, buttery cookies stuffed with ooey, gooey caramel makes the perfect snack!
Filled with gooey caramel, Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies are buttery with pillowy soft centers and crispy edges.
I enjoy making homemade treats for friends and neighbors for the holidays. Planning ahead is key for me during the busy season. Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookie dough freezes well so you can make it ahead and bake them when you have time.
A local grocery store makes an out-of-this-world iced sugar cookie. It was my intention when thinking of a recipe for a Christmas Cookie Swap party to make my version of those cookies. Then, Halloween candy went on sale and I had a bag of caramels to use which ultimately led to these Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies.
I used brown sugar as well as confectioners sugar in this recipe. Brown sugar gives these cookies more depth of flavor. However, they don’t contain a lot of brown sugar and won’t brown like chocolate chips cookies, for example, when baking. Therefore, be diligent about not overcooking them. They are done when the edges turn light brown the top centers with only ‘tan’ lightly.
You may also like
Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies tips
- Allow time to refrigerate the dough at least 30 minutes before baking. I typically make them a day or so beforehand.
- Cool the cookies 2 minutes on the baking pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- I recommend using a Silpat mat when baking cooking.
- This dough is thick. It will not spread much when baking.
- Use a spring release scoop to measure each cookie evenly, then spray the bottom of a glass with non-stick spray and flatten the cookie to approximately 1/4 inch thick. The scoop I used was approximately 5 cm and I baked the cookies for 14 minutes.
- Slightly flatten the caramels (see video). Soften the caramels in the microwave 10 to 20 seconds first, this will make them easier to flatten.
- The caramel centers stay hot much longer than the cookies do. Please be very careful when giving them to small children. Test the centers first.
You’ll love these Brown Butter Biscoff Snickerdoodles
Caramel stuffed sugar cookies
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Add eggs and mix until just combined.
- Gradually blend dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Refrigerate the dough at least 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a parchment or silicone lined cookie sheet, drop golf ball size balls of dough. Press to 1/8 inch with a flat-bottom glass.
- Unwrap caramels and microwave 15 to 20 seconds to soften.
- Flatten caramels slightly and place on top of half of the cookies.
- Top the caramels with the other half of the cookies you have pressed flat.
- Slightly press edges to seal.
- Bake at 350 degrees F 15 to 16 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are set.