Easy Watergate Salad this classic dessert recipe is simple to make with just five ingredients. A potluck staple old-school recipe is delightfully light, slightly sweet, and refreshing.
Watergate Salad is also called Pistachio Salad, Pistachio Fluff, Green Fluff, or Green Stuff. It’s a side dish salad or dessert salad made from pistachio pudding, pineapple, Cool Whip whipped topping, crushed pecans, and mini marshmallows.
EASY WATERGATE SALAD
- In a large bowl, add the crushed pineapple (with its juice) and pudding powder; mix until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the marshmallows, walnuts, and maraschino cherries.
- Fold in the Cool Whip until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight.)
- Serve in dessert cups with a dollop of whipped topping, chopped nuts, and 1 whole Maraschino cherry.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Pineapple. Don’t drain the juice of the pineapple. You need it to mix with the pudding mix. You also need crushed pineapple in 100% juice, not syrup.
- Cool Whip. A lot of time I’ll make homemade whipped topping but in this recipe, Cool Whip holds up better. Don’t use homemade whipped topping.
- Chill for at least an hour. A few hours is even better for the best flavor and texture. It really better when the marshmallows soften.
- Extras. You can also add sweetened coconut flakes if you like coconut. I find that 1/2 – 2/3 cups is a good amount to add. You may also want to add or garnish with maraschino cherries. A little goes a long way with maraschino cherries. I recommend chopping them, patting them dry, and adding 1/2 cup.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Pina Colada Ambrosia Salad
- Ambrosia Fluff Salad
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad
- Fruit Salad Basket
- Grape Salad
- Favorite Fruit Salad
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5 rating and comment.
EASY WATERGATE SALAD
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 20 ounce can pineapple crushed in 100% juice, undrained
- 3.4 ounce pack pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 8 ounces Cool Whip whipped topping
- Add the crushed pineapple with juice and pistachio instant pudding powder to a large bowl. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the marshmallows and chopped pecans.
- Carefully fold in the Cool Whip until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve with more marshmallows and pecans on top.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.