Easy Watergate Salad this classic dessert recipe is simple to make with just five ingredients. A potluck staple old-school recipe is delightfully light, slightly sweet, and refreshing.
Watergate Salad is also called Pistachio Salad, Pistachio Fluff, Green Fluff, or Green Stuff. It’s a side dish salad or dessert salad made from pistachio pudding, pineapple, Cool Whip whipped topping, crushed pecans, and mini marshmallows.
EASY WATERGATE SALAD
- In a large bowl, add the crushed pineapple (with its juice) and pudding powder; mix until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the marshmallows, walnuts, and maraschino cherries.
- Fold in the Cool Whip until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight.)
- Serve in dessert cups with a dollop of whipped topping, chopped nuts, and 1 whole Maraschino cherry.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Pineapple. Don’t drain the juice of the pineapple. You need it to mix with the pudding mix. You also need crushed pineapple in 100% juice, not syrup.
- Cool Whip. A lot of time I’ll make homemade whipped topping but in this recipe, Cool Whip holds up better. Don’t use homemade whipped topping.
- Chill for at least an hour. A few hours is even better for the best flavor and texture. It really better when the marshmallows soften.
- Extras. You can also add sweetened coconut flakes if you like coconut. I find that 1/2 – 2/3 cups is a good amount to add. You may also want to add or garnish with maraschino cherries. A little goes a long way with maraschino cherries. I recommend chopping them, patting them dry, and adding 1/2 cup.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Pina Colada Ambrosia Salad
- Ambrosia Fluff Salad
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad
- Fruit Salad Basket
- Grape Salad
- Favorite Fruit Salad
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5 rating and comment.
EASY WATERGATE SALAD
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 20 ounce can pineapple crushed in 100% juice, undrained
- 3.4 ounce pack pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 8 ounces Cool Whip whipped topping
- Add the crushed pineapple with juice and pistachio instant pudding powder to a large bowl. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the marshmallows and chopped pecans.
- Carefully fold in the Cool Whip until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve with more marshmallows and pecans on top.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This classic dessert is such a quick and easy recipe! So delicious…and I love the crunch the pecans add.
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing salad recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
My husband loves when I serve this for Christmas and I love how simple it is to put together! It’s a traditional favorite at our house. Delicious!
Love this salad! We used to have it all the time when I was a kid and I’ve been looking for a good recipe.
I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday, and it was delightful! Thank you for sharing this recipe!