Moist, tender and full of warm, fall spices, this Fresh Apple Cake is a delicious classic. To take it over the top, I smothered it with my all-time favorite cream cheese glaze.
Did you ever play that game with an apple when you were young where you would twist the apple stem each turn corresponded with a letter of the alphabet and whatever letter you landed one your boyfriend’s first name would start with that letter? So one turn equal A, two turns B and so on. So if you wanted your boyfriend to be Adam, that stem would never come out in one turn. Alternately, my stems never made it to ‘W’ either. So how is it I married a ‘Wesley’? So weird.
You know what’s funny, I can’t pick up an apple without twisting the stem and singing the ABC song.
Of course, when you go to peel the apples for this Fresh Apple Cake, it’s completely up to you if you want to participate in my little ritual. But, I highly recommend it. 🙂
Fresh Apple Cake
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoon butter room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 and 1/2 cups apples peeled and chopped (about 2 apples)
- 1 cup pecans chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream oil, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add vanilla to buttermilk.
- On low speed, add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Fold apples (and pecans, if using) by hand.
- Pour batter into well greased 12 cup bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes. Leave in pan for 20 minutes before removing to allow cake to set.