Frito Chili Pie Recipe is a restaurant remake of classic comfort and gameday food. It’s simple, hearty, delicious, takes just minutes to make, and the whole family loves it!
WHAT IS FRITO CHILI PIE RECIPE?
It’s certainly not a pie and I wouldn’t really call it a casserole either since it’s not all cooked together. However, it is layers of Frito corn chips covered with chili then topped with cheddar cheese. You may also hear it referred to as Frito Pie or Frito Casserole.
The flavors and texture go wonderfully together. Who can resist salty and crunchy corn chips with hearty chili and gooey cheese? I sure can’t!
I grew up eating this at our local Sonic restaurant but never made it at home until recently. My boys love Frito Chili Pie and it’s so easy to make. Now, it’s not the healthiest dinner so I reserve it for times when we’re really rushed.
This recipe has three main components: chili, corn chips, and cheese. If you use canned chili, it can be made in minutes. However, I’m not a fan of canned chili and my chili recipe is quick and easy to make. I make the chili earlier in the day or the day before for a speedy meal.
HOW TO MAKE FRITO CHILI PIE
- First, make the chili. You can do this in advance and refrigerate it.
- Next, you can make individual servings by using single-serving bags of Fritos. (Open the bag lengthwise and layer chili then the cheese over the corn chips in the bag and serve.) Another method, you can layer the ingredient in a casserole dish.
- Start with the corn chips as the bottom layer, followed by chili and topped with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
FRITO PIE TOPPINGS AND EXTRAS
I like the same toppings for Chili Pie that I put on tacos.
- sour cream
- black olives
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Chicken Enchiladas in White Sauce
- Baked Tex-Mex Pimiento Cheese Dip
- Mexican Meatloaf
- Lighter Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas with Avocado Mango Salsa
- Huli Huli Chicken
Frito Chili Pie Recipe
For the Frito Chili Pie
- 10 -ounces Frito chips
- 2 cups cheddar shredded
- 1 medium green onion optional, garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro optional, garnish
- 2 tablespoons sour cream optional, garnish
- In a large skillet, brown meat until it's no longer pink.
- To meat, add in crushed onions, tomato sauce, water, and sugar. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place the Frito corn chips at the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Spoon the chili over the chips.
- Top the chili with cheese.
- Heat at 350°F until cheese melts. Serve immediately.