Southwest Creamy White Chicken Chili (stovetop & slow cooker method) is a cozy, satisfying, healthy meal of pure comfort. This meal is full of flavor, has just the right amount of heat, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
HOW DO I MAKE SOUTHWEST CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI?
For the quick 20-25 minute version, you’ll start with a rotisserie chicken (or baked, broiled, grilled, or boiled chicken).
Pour the chicken broth, pepper, cumin, chili powder, dried minced onions, ranch seasoning, and cubed
Taste and add salt if needed.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS RECIPE IN THE SLOW COOKER?
There’s really no need to make this in the slow cooker if your chicken is already cooked. However, here are directions for uncooked chicken in the Crock-pot.
- First, for easier cleanup, I recommend lining your slow cooker with a liner. Be sure to get the size that fits your Crock-pot.
- Place your uncooked chicken breasts (or thighs) on the bottom of the slow cooker. The FDA does not recommend putting frozen chicken in slow cookers to cook because of the length of time it takes to cook through.
- Next, add to the slow cooker the chicken broth, cooked and drained corn, drained black beans, salsa, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, minced dried onion, ranch seasoning, heavy cream, and
cream cheeseon top. (If you’re using store-bought Ranch seasoning, you may want to wait and add the salt, if needed, after it’s cooked and you have taste tested.)
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube it. Stir the
cream cheeseuntil it’s smooth if it has not melted fully into the mixture. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker, stir, and serve.
CAN I MAKE IT IN AN INSTANT POT?
- Yes! Place the chicken breasts, 2 cups of chicken broth into the instant pot. Set on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After natural depressurizing, remove chicken breasts and cube or shred. Transfer back into the instant pot and add the remaining ingredients ending with the
cream cheeseon top.
- Set on manual high pressure for another 20 minutes.
- Once the steam is released or the instant pot has depressurized, open it, and stir everything together. Serve.
HOW DO I SERVE SOUTHWEST CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Of course, it’s good without any toppings or you can dress it up!
- A handful of Frito corn chips or tortilla chips on top is good.
- As well, a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro adds great flavor.
- Avocado slices would be lovely on top!
- I’m a big fan of sliced green onions. They add a nice color, flavor, and crunch to a lot of dishes.
- Grated cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, Monterrey cheese, or just about any cheese would be good on this soup.
- Finally, I feel like crumbled bacon is good on everything too!
TIPS, TRICKS, SUGGESTIONS
- I recommend using Philadephia cream cheese. I’ve found it melts more smoothly than off-brands. I don’t recommend using low-fat or fat-free
- To incorporate the
cream cheeseinto the chicken broth, I suggest adding room-temperature cream cheeseto the broth before you add the chicken or the vegetables. Whisk it until it melts and is creamy. If you are cooking the chicken in the broth, simply remove it, shred or cube the chicken. Then, add the cream cheeseinto the broth, whisk until it melts. Finally, add the chicken and the remaining ingredients.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd.
- Add 12 additional ounces of
cream cheeseand it’s a wonderful dip!
- You can substitute Northern beans or your favorite bean for the black beans. As well, you can omit altogether.
- I just love the steam bags of frozen corn, but you can use any frozen corn, cooked fresh corn, or drained canned corn. As well, you can use a can of creamed corn.
- I’m a white-meat chicken person, but you can use thighs or legs or whatever chicken part you like or have on hand.
- I used chunky, mild Casa Mammita salsa.
- Ranch seasoning in this recipe is the dry seasoning, not the salad dressing. You can use store-bought or make it with my Homemade Ranch Recipe which has no salt in it.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Keto Creamed Spinach for Two
- Irish-Pub Nachos
- Slow Cooker Beef Roast
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cake
- Old Fashioned Goulash
- Easy Chili with 6 ingredients, ready in 30 minutes!
- Chicken Black Bean Burritos
- Street Corn Chicken Tacos
Southwest Creamy White Chicken Chili
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces corn cooked and drained
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried minced onions or onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix not dressing
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream not whipped
- 4 ounces cream cheese Philadephia brand, at room temperature, cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt optional or adjust to taste
- Pour the chicken broth, pepper, cumin, chili powder, dried minced onions, ranch seasoning, and cubed cream cheese into a large Dutch oven or braiser pan. (I used my favorite 5 quarts Le Creuset braiser pan with lid, but you can use any large pot with a lid.)
- Heat ingredients on low until cream cheese melts. Whisk the mixture so it becomes creamy.
- Add the cooked chicken, black beans, corn, salsa, and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or stovetop.