A Flavorful classic recipe, Southwest Salad is a hearty, filling, and delicious meal.
Are you craving a zesty and satisfying meal that tantalizes your taste buds with a burst of flavors? Look no further! The Southwest salad is the perfect amalgamation of vibrant ingredients that offer a delightful and fulfilling culinary experience.
Easy Southwest Salad Recipe
A harmony of textures and flavors dancing on your palate. The Southwest salad is a medley of fresh romaine or iceberg lettuce, crisp cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, diced red peppers, and savory lean ground beef infused with tantalizing taco seasoning. The black beans add a delightful earthiness, while the tangy salsa and a hint of lemon juice elevate the overall zestiness of this dish.
What makes this salad truly special is the amalgamation of contrasting flavors. The crunch from the tortilla chips complements the softness of the avocado and beans. The Mexican cheese binds the ingredients together, offering a creamy and slightly salty note, while the salsa adds a kick of spiciness that ties everything together in perfect harmony.
Ingredients you’ll need
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post. You can save a tree and the recipe to your personal and private recipe box here on Call Me PMc. This way, you’ll never misplace it.
- Vegetable oil
- Three-quarters of a pound of lean ground beef
- Taco Seasoning: see below for details
- Black beans, drained and rinsed.
- Red onion, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mexican cheese, shredded
- Avocado, diced
- Red pepper, diced
- Tortilla chips
Southwest Salad Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! You can easily omit the lean ground beef to create a vegetarian version of this salad. You might consider adding more beans or tofu as a protein substitute for a fulfilling meal.
Indeed! You can personalize this salad to suit your preferences. Some variations include adding corn for sweetness, swapping different types of cheese for varied flavors, or even incorporating a drizzle of lime-infused dressing for an extra citrusy punch.
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can prep certain components in advance. However, it’s advisable to add the avocado and tortilla chips just before serving to maintain their freshness and crunch.
Absolutely! This Southwest salad is a crowd-pleaser. You can prepare a larger batch by doubling the ingredients and assembling it in a large serving bowl. It’s sure to impress guests with its vibrant colors and delectable flavors.
In conclusion, the Southwest salad is a celebration of fresh ingredients and bold flavors that come together to create a truly satisfying and enjoyable meal. Whether you’re seeking a quick lunch or a vibrant dish for a gathering, this recipe is a surefire hit that will leave everyone craving for more!
You may also like these healthy meals
- Black Bean Tomato Quinoa Salad with Texas Vinaigrette
- Avocado Fruit Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Edamame Corn Tomato Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Southwest Chicken Wraps with Southwest Sauce
- SOUTHWEST CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- Southwest Skillet Blackened Chicken Recipe
- Southwest Blackened Chicken Salad
- Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
- EASY SUMMER DINNER RECIPES
I updated this post from an earlier version dated April 21, 2015. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- 1-2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning see below for details
- ¾ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce chopped
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup Mexican cheese shredded
- 1 medium ripe avocado diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- ½ cup salsa
- Optional: 2 tablespoons fat-free ranch dressing
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix all of the taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and 1-2 teaspoons of taco seasoning (adjust to taste). Cook until the beef is browned and any moisture has evaporated. Drain any excess grease or moisture. Set aside.
- If making the salad in a jar, layer the ingredients in the following order: salsa, red onion, avocado, black beans, cherry tomatoes, cheese, cooked ground beef, and lettuce. Optionally, pour a bit of ranch dressing on top. Close the lid and shake to evenly coat.
- If serving the salad on a plate, arrange lettuce as the base, then layer with cooked ground beef, cherry tomatoes, black beans, avocado, red onion, and cheese. Optionally, add salsa and / or fat-free ranch dressing. Mix everything together and enjoy!