Homemade Southern-style Cornbread Dressing, this is my recipe of our family favorite version of this Southern classic
My kid is so funny…at least he cracks me up. If he ever becomes not funny, I won’t have any material for the blog!
He gets in the car from school the other day and says, “Mommie, I have got to have something to eat, my blood sugar is low!” bahahaha, I still get tickled, what 8-year-old says that?
Of course, I know part of the problem, this was the first day back to school after the holidays. The same holidays that he ate 7 meals a day every day for 9 days. I’m sure he was hungry… I don’t know about his blood sugar though. I surmise that was just a ploy to get me to stop on the way home for a
HOMEMADE SOUTHERN-STYLE CORNBREAD DRESSING
I know there are tons of different varieties of Cornbread Dressing out there. Wesley didn’t like my family’s Cornbread Dressing and I didn’t like his family’s Cornbread Dressing. We tweaked this recipe to our tastes and now we’re both happy. With any recipe, adjust the seasonings and flavorings to fit you and your family’s taste. That’s what makes each recipe special to your family.
By the way, do you call it Dressing or Stuffing? I think the difference comes in somewhere along the Mason-Dixon line. To Southerners, it’s Dressing, to everyone else Stuffing. Or, I’ve heard some say that Stuffing is cooked in (stuffed! get it?!) the bird and Dressing is not…
I dunno…I eat Dressing.
This Dressing. It’s yummy!
YOU’LL ENJOY THESE RECIPES TOO!
- Holiday Desserts
- Seafood Dressing
- Sheet Pan Hoosier Stew
- Chicken Enchiladas in White Sauce
- Tomato Dumplings
Homemade Southern-style Cornbread Dressing
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 18 cups cornbread crumbled
- 5 cups stale white bread or biscuits torn into small pieces
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup grated onions
- 2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon sage
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup butter
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 9 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together cornbread and white bread (or biscuits) in a large bowl.
- Boil celery, onion, butter, and broth until celery and onion are tender.
- Add poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper to eggs and beat.
- Add eggs to bread crumb mixture and stir.
- Pour into bread crumb mixture one ladle broth at a time until moist. Stir well.
- Pour into two 9×13-inch casserole dishes.
- Pour one cup of broth over top of the dressing.
- Bake at 350°F until golden brown and firm to the touch.