Sheet Pan Hoosier Stew is an entire meal that’s made on a sheet pan in 30 minutes! Green beans, ham, and sweet potatoes is an unbelievably easy recipe that the whole family will love.
SHEET PAN HOOSIER STEW
Let’s sit back and imagine for a moment. You’re really hungry and need hearty comfort food but you also need something that won’t totally blow your diet. This easy sheet pan meal is perfect for you. It is a good ‘square’ meal that’s easy to make, tastes delectables, and it’s good for you.
WHAT IS HOOSIER STEW?
Hoosier Stew is a classic Midwest, one-pot meal of potatoes, sausage, and green beans. It’s super easy to make and budget-friendly as well. I shared the classic recipe earlier with you. Here it is if you missed it: Skillet Sausage Potatoes and Green Bean Recipe.
First of all, I altered the traditional recipe by substituting ham for sausage in today’s recipe. Then I piled everything on a sheet pan and popped it in the oven. Therefore, if you enjoy the convenience of Hoosier Stew made in a pot, you’ll really enjoy this version on a sheet pan.
SHEET PAN HOOSIER STEW, WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Full recipe in the recipe card.
- Potatoes. I almost always use Yukon gold potatoes both for their buttery flavor and their ease in prepping. Yukon gold potatoes have really thin skin that you don’t need to peel. For this recipe, I choose small potatoes that roast quickly. I tried to keep them all about the same size so they would all cook at the same rate. Therefore, I halved a few of the potatoes.
- Green beans. I grabbed a can of green beans out of the pantry. You do need to drain them but that’s the extent of prepping for the green beans. You can sub fresh greens beans and add them with the potatoes to cook first. Further, you can sub Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots,
- Ham. You can use sausage, ham, or chicken. As well, you can omit protein altogether.
- Olive oil. If you’re using sausage you probably won’t need oil. However, with leaner ham, I drizzle a little olive oil over the veggies.
- Spices. Salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and ground mustard.
WHAT SIZE SHEET PAN DO I NEED?
I use my 13×18-inch sheet pan a lot! If you don’t have a large sheet pan, use two smaller pans instead of crowding the ingredients onto one pan. This way the ingredients will get roasted, crispy edges instead of steaming and be mushy.
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Sausage Pepper Onion Hoagies
- Sausage Dogs
- Bacon Short-cut rolls
- Philly Cheese Sausage Dog
- Baby Sausage Dogs
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Sausage and Chicken Pasta
- Philly Cheese Dog Loaded Potato
SHEET PAN HOOSIER STEW
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 1 pound potatoes small
- 15 ounces green beans drained
- 16 ounces ham diced
- ¼ cup olive oil more if needed
- ½ teaspoon each salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 13x18-inch baking sheet with parchment paper
- If your potatoes are small you may not have to cut them, but if they're large, cut them into about 1-inch cubes.
- Place the potatoes on your prepared sheet pan and drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle about ⅓ of the seasonings over them.
- Place the potatoes in your preheated oven and cook for 15 to 20 at 425°F. Time will depend on how large the potatoes are.
- After 15 minutes, check the potatoes, they need to be beginning to get soft. They need to be 'almost' fork-tender.
- When the potatoes are beginning to get soft, place the green beans and ham on the sheet pan. They don't have to be kept separate but they do need to be in a single layer.
- Drizzle more olive oil over the beans and ham then sprinkle the remaining spice. Place in the oven and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- To check for doneness, pierce the potatoes with a fork. If they're soft, it's ready.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.