Philly Cheese Dog Loaded Potato hearty meat and potatoes have never been so good! Inspired by the cheesesteak sandwich, my twist on this classic has kielbasa sausage, onions, peppers, and cheese all stuffed in a baked potato!
As well, I added a secret Southern twist! The cheese is a Pimento Cheese!! Yessssss!!!
This is a complete meal with (almost) every food group and perfect for the meat and potato lover in your life! Plus, it’s quick, easy, filling, and budget-friendly!
HOW TO MAKE PHILLY CHEESE DOG LOADED POTATO
This meal came together really quickly. While the potatoes cooked in the microwave, I cooked the sausage in a skillet on the stovetop. As well, I made the pimento cheese spread earlier in the day.
- Bake or microwave your potato. I consider myself an expert at microwaving ‘baked’ potatoes since I ate one every day during my teenage years.😳 I wrote a detailed post here that you can read. Basically, you microwave the potato then allow it to sit.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook your sausage in a large skillet. You can leave the sausage in the casings which take a little longer to cook. As well, you can remove the casings and crumble the sausage to cook. (For photos, I left my sausage in the casings.) I used kielbasa. You can use any sausage even breakfast sausage. You can also use steak if you prefer.
- Cook the onions and peppers. I realize traditional Philly Cheesesticks have green peppers. However, this isn’t ‘traditional’ and I dislike green bell peppers. (Don’t you think they’re bitter?) I used red bell peppers. You can use red, orange, yellow, green or a combination. I also used a yellow onion. I julienned these and added them to the pan with the sausage for the last 3 minutes of cook time. Cook them to your liking, I like my tender-crisp.
- Make the pimento cheese. You can make this earlier in the day or you can even purchase ready-made pimento cheese. I used this basic recipe for pimento cheese. Also, you can use cheddar cheese or another favorite cheese.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Spicy Italian Nachos
- Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- 3 Cheese Pimento Cheese
- Bourbon Honey Steak Tips
- Ground Beef Mongolian Noodles
If you’ve tried this recipe, consider giving it a 5-star rating below!
Philly Cheese Dog Loaded Potato
- 4 medium to large baking potatoes
- 4 medium sausage you can remove the casing if you want
- 1 medium red bell pepper julienned
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 cup pimento cheese purchased or homemade (recipe below), cheddar cheese, or your favorite cheese
- 8 ounces processed cheese or cheddar shredded, ½ cup mayonaise, ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, 4 ounces chopped pimentos, drained - Mix all these ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
Philly Cheese Dog Loaded Potatoes
- Wash the potatoes and wrap them in plastic wrap. Microwave 5 minutes and turn. Microwave another 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size. They'll be soft when you squeeze them when they're done. Remove them from the microwave and immediately wrap them in aluminum foil. Place them back in the microwave or the oven to sit while the rest of the meal is prepared.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the sausage on the stove in a large skillet on medium-low. Slice the peppers.
- Cook the sausage turning to brown for 7 to 8 minutes. Add the pepper and onion slices and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness. (Check the center of the sausage links to make sure they're cooked through.)
- Cut a slit down potatoes and fill with one sausage, peppers, and onions. Top with pimento cheese. The ingredients should be hot enough to melt the cheese but if it doesn't begin to melt you can pop them in the oven to melt the cheese.
- Serve hot.