A twist on the classic layer cake, Hummingbird Cake Pound Cake (Hummingbird Bundt Cake) is the ultimate dessert recipe! It’s bursting with flavor from bananas, pineapple, and pecans and draped with cream cheese frosting!
Maybe you know, maybe you don’t know but I’ve been reviewing pound cake recipes for a while now. They are reader favorites. (You can see them all here: Pound Cake Recipes Reviewed.)
I’ve made pound cakes with fruit, vegetables, nuts, cookies, Jello, preserves, bourbon, and more. I’ve even turned classic layer cake recipes (Red Velvet and Carrot) and a pie recipe (Key Lime) into a pound cake. When I create a pound cake I try to maintain the dense but tender crumb and crusty top. The main components of a classic pound cake.
I opened an email one day requesting a Hummingbird Pound Cake. ‘That’s a great idea,‘ I thought. Then ‘Why haven’t I thought of this before?‘ (To the sweet lady that email me, ‘Thank you!’ I hope you see this. I’m sorry it took me so long. I looked and looked for your email and was unable to find it.)
HUMMINGBIRD CAKE POUND CAKE
For my version of the Hummingbird Pound Cake, I didn’t just pour the regular cake batter into a bundt pan and call it a pound cake. I tried to maintain a classic pound cake texture.
However, I did use less butter than most pound cakes call for since the bananas and pineapple offered a lot of moisture.
Additionally, I chopped the pecans relatively small but not completely to a powder.
Like a traditional pound cake, I didn’t add baking powder or baking soda. The eggs are the leavening agent. Make sure to have them at room temperature and beat them until fluffy when you add them to the mixture. (More details below in the recipe card.)
Make sure the butter is at room temperature as well.
HOW TO BAKE THE PERFECT POUND CAKE
First, I highly recommend you read it before making a pound cake: Bake The Perfect Pound Cake!
As well, You should calibrate your oven once a year. Here’s how> Calibrate your Oven.
ABOUT THE BANANAS
You want to use very ripe bananas. The darker the skin, the sweeter the banana will be. Therefore, allow the bananas to get very ripe, very speckled, or almost black.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
I used my standard recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting, which you can find here: Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe. I halved this recipe. As well, I added just a little more milk to make it thinner to drizzle. Then, I scooped the frosting into a gallon ziptop bag, snipped the end off, and made thick drizzles over the cake.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER POUND CAKE
I recommend storing leftover pound cake on the counter at room temperature in an airtight container. I usually wrap it in plastic wrap or cut it in slices and keep it in a covered cake plate. It will last anywhere from 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
CAN I FREEZE POUND CAKE?
Pound cake is great for freezing. Wrap it up tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap and store it in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
BE SURE TO HOP OVER AND CHECK OUT MY OTHER POUND CAKE RECIPES
SOME OF THE MOST POPULAR ONES ARE
- Fig Preserve Pound Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Old Fashioned Blue Ribbon Pound Cake
- Strawberry & Cream Pound Cake
- Amaretto Peach Upside Down Pound Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
You can get all my pound cake recipes here: Pound Cakes Reviewed
Hummingbird Cake Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter real butter, no substitutions, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted then measured
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup bananas very ripe, mashed
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple undrained
- 1 cup pecans chopped small (I measured then chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F. (If you haven't calibrated your oven recently, I recommend you calibrate your oven once a year. For info read: How to Calibrate your Oven.)
- Add eggs one at a time beating each one in before adding the next. Stop mixer and scrape sides. Mix again.
- Alternately add the flour mixture, mashed bananas, and undrained pineapple to the batter. (Add half the flour, half bananas, half pineapple, repeat with the second half.) Stop the mixer, scrape sides, then mix again.
- Fold in the pecans until incorporated.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake at 325°F for 70 to 80 minutes or until done. Carefully insert a long wooden pick into the center of the cake. The cake is done when dry crumbs or no crumbs stick to the pick.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before inverting on a tray to cool completely. Wait until the cake is completely cool before frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Spoon frosting into a ziptop bag, snip the corner off, and drizzle over cake.