A popular pie, this OLD FASHIONED SUGAR PIE RECIPE has a caramel custard filling and flaky crust.
Additionally, this recipe is simple and economical to make…. and it makes me want to sing ‘Sugar Pie, honeybunch, you know that I love you…’ Apologies, I couldn’t help myself!
A Sugar Pie has a single crust and is filled with a mixture of butter, flour, milk, eggs and brown sugar. When it bakes the filling turns into a caramel-like mixture. It’s originally from western European countries and popularized in the U.S. by the Amish. Sometimes the Old Fashioned Sugar Pie Recipe is referred to as ‘desperation pie’ because it could be made with ingredients that would always be on hand ‘on the farm’ much like the Buttermilk Pie, Vinegar Pie or Chess Pie.
I found a simple version of the recipe in one of my Grandmother’s old recipe books. Basically, there were just measurements and no good instructions. After a couple of tries, it turned out great, and ready to share with you. Turns out this recipe is crazy simple to make. Most recipes that have been around a long time are simple. But, they stand the test of time because they’re also good and usually economical to make.
Old Fashioned Sugar Pie Recipe has a custard-like consistency. It’s like flan or creme brulee without the caramelized sugar on top. You could totally top this pie with meringue if you’re not meringue opposed like me.
OLD FASHIONED SUGAR PIE RECIPE Tips
Be patient when making the milk mixture for this pie. Heat it on medium to medium-low heat and stir constantly until it reaches a low boil. Otherwise, you’ll risk scorching the milk.
Likewise, be patient when baking the pie. It takes a long time to bake, especially when you’re dying to taste it. This pie will still be slightly jiggly in the center when it’s done. But the edges will be set and the top will be lightly browned. And, hey, if you take it out of the oven before it’s set, serve over ice cream as a sauce and it’s still good. #becauseIknow
For convenience, I used a store-bought pie crust this time. You can use this Never Fail Pie Crust as well
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- On the Go Breakfasts
- Chocolate Chess Pie
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Pie
- Apple Chess Pie with Streusel Topping
- chocolate Chip cookie pie
Old Fashioned Sugar Pie Recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 and ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch Pie crust I used a store bought crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully roll out pie crust and fit in pie pan.
- Place pie pan on a cookie sheet in case it boils over.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly.
- Cook until mixture thickens and just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and add brown sugar.
- Whisk until dissolved.
- Temper eggs with hot milk mixture.
- Add tempered eggs to milk mixture and whisk.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350° F for 50 to55 minutes or until firm on the outside of the pie and slightly 'jiggly' on in the center.