Street Corn Chicken Taco Recipe is loaded with flavorful, marinated chicken, street corn, and topped with avocado, cheese, and a spectacular Mexican inspired sauce!
While the rest of the world are sharing all things pumpkin and apple, here in the South we still have another month of brutally hot and humid weather. I’m still into grilling and chilling!
This easy taco recipe is the perfect lunch, dinner, or entertaining food.
- It easily adapts to feed a crowd.
- A lot of the elements can be prepped ahead of time.
- Who doesn’t love a good taco regardless of the season of the year!?
HOW TO MAKE STREET CORN CHICKEN TACO RECIPE
At first glance, this looks like a long complicated recipe. I assure you it’s not. It does have three different items to make, but they literally are dump the ingredients and stir!
Furthermore, if you’re in a huge hurry, you can use a rotisserie chicken!
- Chicken – I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but bone-in will work too. As well, you can substitute chicken thighs or tenders. Marinate the chicken with oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Whisk together the marinade in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a ziptop bag and pour the marinade over it. Smush to cover all areas of the chicken, then refrigerate. I recommend marinating it at least 30 minutes but the longer the better up to 4 hours. (More details below on grilling.)
- Make street corn – I used frozen corn and cooked in the microwave. You can use frozen, canned, or fresh. If you have fresh corn, grilled fresh corn would be wonderful! Stir together the cooled cooked corn, mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and spices. Refrigerate until ready to use. You can do this early in the day.
- Make the sauce – This is best if made in advance. Stir the sour cream and taco seasoning together. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat. Alternatively, you can use Greek yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Heat tortillas – Wrap four or five flour tortillas in a damp paper towel. Alternately, place them on a microwavable plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave at 30-second increments until they are warmed through. Repeat with more batches of tortillas if necessary. You can use whole wheat, gluten-free, corn, or your favorite tortillas.
HOW DO I COOK CHICKEN FOR STREET CORN CHICKEN TACO RECIPE?
Grill -If grilling I recommend leaving the breast whole.
- Trim the fat off the chicken breasts. Next, pound the breasts to an even thickness. This will ensure even grilling.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Brush grill with oil to prevent sticking. Place chicken on the grill. Cook for approximately 5 – 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it with foil. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes so the juices can re-distribute.
Stovetop – I cooked the chicken on the stove. For stovetop cooking, I like to cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes before marinating. More surface area means more places for that marinade to cover!
- Heat a large nonstick saute pan to med-high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer in the pan. Don’t crowd the pan or the chicken will steam and not sear.
- Cook the chicken cubes 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on how large they are. Rotate until all sides are browned and cooked through.
- Again, transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it with foil until all the chicken is cooked.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH THESE CHICKEN TACOS?
You may also enjoy this Healthy Tex Mex Chicken Soup if your family likes this. Or…
- Creamy Mexican Kale Slaw
- Mexican style Pecan Chocolate Squares
- Mexican Street Corn Dip (by the way, you can use this recipe for these tacos if you want)
- Chicken Enchiladas in White Sauce
- Baked Tex-Mex Pimiento Cheese Dip
- Mexican Meatloaf
- Lighter Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas with Avocado Mango Salsa
Street Corn Chicken Taco Recipe
FOR THE CHICKEN - please read above for substitutions, details, and tips
FOR THE STREET CORN
- 2 cups corn cooked and cooled
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno fresh or pickled, minced
- 2 whole green onions chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt optional
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 large avocado sliced or cubed
- ½ cup cotija cheese or feta
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
FOR THE STREET CORN
- Cook corn and place in a bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder, cilantro, jalapeno, green onions, and garlic salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
FOR THE SAUCE
- Whisk sour cream and taco seasoning together until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use
FOR THE CHICKEN
- Place chicken in a ziptop bag. Whisk oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper together and pour over chicken. Turn bag several times to coat chicken. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Allow the chicken to sit on the countertop for 30 minutes before cooking.
- TO GRILL - Trim the fat off the chicken breasts. Next, pound the breasts to an even thickness. This will ensure even grilling. Preheat your grill to medium heat. Brush grill with oil to prevent sticking. Place chicken on the grill. Cook for approximately 5 – 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of chicken. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes so the juices can re-distribute.
- STOVETOP - Heat a large nonstick saute pan to med-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer in the pan. Don't crowd the pan or the chicken will steam and not sear. Cook the chicken cubes 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on how large they are. Rotate until all sides are browned and cooked through. Again, transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil until all the chicken is cooked.
- Warm tortillas.
- Top tortilla with chicken, street corn, avocado, cheese, sauce, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.