Caramelized onions bring tons of flavor and amp up traditional cornbread in my Sweet Onion Cornbread recipe. This is not your typical dry cornbread recipe.
Pair this with a juicy steak, chili, or good ole country vegetables and your taste buds will be forever grateful.
Sauteed onions and cheddar cheese are the perfect additions that take this basic cornbread recipe to a whole new level. There is no doubt this recipe will be making a regular appearance at our dinner table.
SWEET ONION CORNBREAD
Well, I hate to admit when I make a mistake. This post was supposed to be about Broccoli Cornbread. But, I accidentally picked up frozen spinach instead of broccoli at the grocery. So, I had to get creative. This recipe is what I came up with! Sometimes, kitchen accidents turn out to be, well, not so bad!!
Caramelized onions add a nice depth of flavor and sweetness to traditional Southern cornbread. I like to serve it hot with butter. In fact, I can make of meal on this simple recipe.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Breakfast Casserole
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Baked Crack Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Sausage Gravy Biscuit Bubble Up Casserole
Sweet Onion Cornbread
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups Vidalia onions diced
- 1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Saute' 1/2 cup butter with 2 diced Vidalia onions until carmelized.
- Mix until blended the Jeffy cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, and caramelized onions.
- Fill muffin tins or 2 small cast iron skillets 3/4 full with mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 to 3 minutes in the pan before inverting on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or room temperature.