My Tacos Pastor Pork Burger has the same flavors and spices as this the popular Mexican street food Tacos el Pastor. A combination of chiles, pork, pineapple, cilantro, and onion combine wonderfully in a burger recipe.
However, as long as I have liked Mexican foods and flavors, I had never had Tacos el Pastor until a couple of months ago. Where have I been? I’m completely obsessed with them now. Not only that, after I took the family to a local restaurant that serves the best Tacos el Pastor, they have been a favorite of my whole family.
Tacos el Pastor are spicy without being overly hot. They are full of flavor and texture with all the pineapple, chiles, cilantro, and onions.
It was a natural thought process when I started planning for Burger Month that I adapt Tacos el Pastor into the all-American favorite burger. That’s how I came up with this Tacos Pastor Pork Burger.
I kept the same flavors, the slightly sweet pineapple, the earthy cilantro, the crisp pungent onion. And I added a mild creamy cheese because burgers simply need cheese.
Tacos Pastor Pork Burger Tips
- My pork to fat ratio that I used for my Tacos Pastor Pork Burger was 85/15.
- If you don’t want to go through the process of soaking the dried chiles, simply heat vegetable oil in a large skillet to medium temperature. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons ancho chile powder or paste, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to almost a boil. Add vinegar and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Allow to cool completely. Proceed with the recipe as directed below.
- Use your favorite bun. I have used a regular hamburger as well as a potato bun. A sourdough or ciabatta bun would also be tasty.
- As well, I used provolone cheese. You can use whatever you have on hand or any mild cheese.
- Of course, avocado, lettuce, tomato, roasted poblano peppers would all be great toppers for this burger.
You may also like these burgers
Tacos Pastor Pork Burger
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
For the el Pastor sauce
- 1-2 pound ground pork
- 4 - 8 pineapple slices
- 4 - 8 hamburger buns or slider buns
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 4 - 8 slices Red onion
- 1 cup chile sauce
- 4 - 8 slices Provolone cheese
For the el Pastor mayo
- 3 tablespoon el Pastor sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Remove stems and seeds from guajillo chiles
- Place the chiles in a saucepan and add 1 can chicken broth. Fill the can with water and add it to the pan. Make sure the chiles are submerged in the liquid.
- Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover, and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the liquid. Return liquid to a boil and reduce to half to about 1 cup.
- Allow peppers and liquid to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet to medium temperature.
- Add ancho chile powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to almost a boil.
- Add vinegar and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Allow the liquid to cool completely.
- To a blender add the guajillo chiles, the reduced guajillo liquid, and the vegetable oil-spice mixture. Pulse until pureed and smooth.
For the burgers
- Add 2 tablespoon seasoning mixture to the ground pork and mix into the meat.
- Pat meat into burgers. I made large 1/4 pound burgers. You can make any size then adjust your toppings accordingly.
- Cover burgers in seasoning sauce, for 30 minutes to 1 hour turning occasionally.
- Cook either on a stovetop or grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side on med-high heat. Turn just once and do not mash this will press the juices and flavor out.
- Grill or cook on the stovetop the pineapple slices for 60-90 seconds per side until heated through
Build your burger
- Place burger on the bottom bun, top with cheese, grilled pineapple slice, red onion, chopped cilantro, sauce and/or mayo, optional toppings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!