Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe has a rich chocolate cake topped with a simple to make chocolate mousse that’s light and fluffy tops this sheet cake.
This cake is ideal for any celebration. It’s loaded with chocolate from top to bottom.
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
For the cake, you can make a sheet cake as I did. You could also make it in 2 or 3 layers. I used Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa powder and Unsweetened Cocoa powder for a double whammy of chocolate. The cake is rich and decadent.
The chocolate mousse frosting adds a cool creamy texture that compliments the dense chocolate cake layer. It’s smooth, velvety, and extraordinarily delicious.
You’ll want to refrigerate any leftovers.
Tips when making the mousse
- First, add mini marshmallows, chocolate, and milk to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or large nonstick pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until all the ingredients are melted and well-combined.
- Nex,t remove from heat and cool to warm. Here’s the secret, if it cools completely and is really cold the chocolate will not mix well into the whipped cream. Therefore, it can be slightly warm, but definitely not refrigerator cold.
- For the whipped cream, in a large bowl, beat the whipping cream and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Soft peaks barely hold their shape. The peaks flop over immediately when the beaters are lifted. The whipping cream will fluff up like Cool Whip if you’re familiar with Cool Whip.
- Next, fold the cooled chocolate into the whipped cream. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Finally, refrigerate any leftovers.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- Cake Mix Butterfinger Pound Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
- 1 and ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder Hershey's special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water not boiling
- 1 and ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 8 -ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a larger bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, add buttermilk and vegetable oil. Mix. Stir in eggs one at a time.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add hot water and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Cool to room temperature.
- Add mini marshmallows, chocolate, and milk to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until melted and ingredients are well-combined.
- Remove from heat, and cool to warm. (If it cools completely or is cold it will not mix well into the whipped cream.)
- Fold cooled chocolate into whipped cream. Spread over cooled cake. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.