Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe has a rich chocolate cake topped with a simple-to-make chocolate mousse that’s light and fluffy tops this sheet cake.
My boys love homemade chocolate mousse and they’re absolute favorite cake is my Chocolate Coca Cola Cake. It was natural to combine these two for hubs birthday cake.
This cake is ideal for any celebration. It’s loaded with chocolate from top to bottom.
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
For the cake, you can make a sheet cake as I did. You could also make it in 2 or 3 layers. I used Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa powder and Unsweetened Cocoa powder for a double whammy of chocolate. The cake is rich and decadent.
The chocolate mousse frosting adds a cool creamy texture that compliments the dense chocolate cake layer. It’s smooth, velvety, and extraordinarily delicious.
You’ll want to refrigerate any leftovers.
Tips when making the mousse
- First, add mini marshmallows, chocolate, and milk to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or large nonstick pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until all the ingredients are melted and well-combined.
- Nex,t remove from heat and cool to warm. Here’s the secret, if it cools completely and is really cold the chocolate will not mix well into the whipped cream. Therefore, it can be slightly warm, but definitely not refrigerator cold.
- For the whipped cream, in a large bowl, beat the whipping cream and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Soft peaks barely hold their shape. The peaks flop over immediately when the beaters are lifted. The whipping cream will fluff up like Cool Whip if you’re familiar with Cool Whip.
- Next, fold the cooled chocolate into the whipped cream. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Finally, refrigerate any leftovers.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- Cake Mix Butterfinger Pound Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 and ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder Hershey's special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water not boiling
- 1 and ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 8 -ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease, or coat with Wilton cake release, a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, add buttermilk and vegetable oil. Mix. Stir in eggs one at a time.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add hot water and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Cool to room temperature.
- Add mini marshmallows, chocolate, and milk to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until melted and ingredients are well-combined.
- Remove from heat, and cool to warm. (If it cools completely or is cold it will not mix well into the whipped cream.)
- Fold cooled chocolate into whipped cream. Spread over cooled cake. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Also, you can also find great recipes in my recipe index.
This cake was AWESOME!! I shared it with my neighbors and they absolute loved it! It is definitely worth way more than 5 stars!
Francine Jacobson says
Very great cake..
WE loved it enough to do it again very soon
south african shop auckland says
This is a brilliant post, thank you for sharing about chocolate mousse cake recipe. We always tend to change something or the other in our house, thanks for this great advice.
Yum, this is an amazing looking cake! My clan would love it. Pinning!
Have a great week,
marvina Rose johnson says
I will make this as soon as I buy buttermilk. However, can this be made in a Bundt pan?