This deliciously creamy Corn and Potato Chowder is filled with diced potatoes, crispy bacon, and a sprinkle of green onion. It’s comforting and coziness in a bowl!
Corn and Potato Chowder
My Corn and Potato Chowder recipe makes a luscious, hearty, and filling soup that’s perfect for cold weather. It’s full of smokey bacon, corn, and potatoes. wrapped in a silky cream sauce. It’s soul-satisfying comfort food at its best!
Additionally, it’s easy to make in just over 30 minutes. It’s easy to throw together for those busy weeknights, but a few extra touches like serving it in a bread bowl can dress this corn chowder up for entertaining. Garnish with green onions, bacon, and more cheese.
Difference Between Chowder, Bisque, and Soup
Bisques and chowders are two types of thick soup. Bisque is generally smooth while chowder is chunky. Both have a long history with seafood. The word chowder comes from the French word for the cauldron in which fishermen made their stew. However, both words are used often used to describe non-seafood dishes as well.
Customarily, chowder included onion, potatoes, and cream. Nowadays, not all chowders contain these ingredients. As different chowder recipes develop across the country, people expect a chunky hearty soup. Therefore, whether it’s corn chowder or seafood chowder, it will not be a smooth puree and it will not be thin and wimpy.
How to Make a Creamy Chowder
This recipe is pretty simple to put together, and it just takes a few basic ingredients.
Start by cooking the bacon until it’s crispy, then remove it from the pan. Leave the grease in the skillet – you’ll use it to cook the onions.
Sauté’ onions in the bacon grease, adding a little butter if necessary.
Meanwhile, dice your potatoes into small cubes. Boil them using another large pot.
Remove the onions from the pot. Add the flour, and cook the fat and flour for 2 to 3 minutes.
Whisk the chicken broth into the mixture SLOWLY, otherwise the roux (fat and flour mixture) will separate, causing your chowder to be thin and runny.
Grab a spoon and taste your chowder for flavor! Add more salt and pepper, if you think the soup lacks flavor.
Shop this Post
Watch this quick video for step by step instructions on making the best creamy corn soup you’ll ever eat!
Corn and Potato Chowder
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small white onion diced
- 5 ears corn kernels sliced off or 1 (8 oz) bag frozen corn
- 2 pounds potatoes diced and boiled to fork tender
- 3 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions green part only
- salt and pepper to taste
- *round bread bowls optional
- In a large pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and set aside.
- Bring to a low boil. Add potatoes and corn and turn to low. Simmer 10 minutes on low. Stir in salt, pepper, and heavy cream; simmer 5 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in cheese and stir until it melts. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve and garnish with green onions, bacon, and additional cheese