Homemade Pepperoni Lover’s Deep Dish Pizza is a killer combination of crispy thick dough, gooey mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, spicy pepperoni. This deep-dish pizza is truly like no other, the cheese melts into the crust becoming creamy, crunchy, flavor-packed deliciousness!
Serve with my family-style Cobb Salad for a quick, easy, delicious meal for a large or small crowd.
HOMEMADE PEPPERONI LOVER’S DEEP DISH PIZZA
I don’t know about where you live, but it takes us two to three hours to get pizza delivered on Friday night. It seems everyone orders on Friday night. We’ve made it a point not to order anything take-out on Fridays. If we want pizza, I make this recipe.
It’s seriously faster than take-out especially if I purchase the crust. My easy homemade pizza dough only adds a few more minutes to the process. I have included the homemade pizza dough recipe as well as how to make it with the store-bought crust for you.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- 16 ounces pizza dough (ready-made pizza dough options: 1. ready-to-bake dough, 2. refrigerated can, or 3. pizza crust mix) or homemade pizza dough (I have 3 easy recipes for pizza dough: 1. Whole Wheat Pizza dough, 2. Crazy Bread Dough, 3. Easy Pizza Dough. Most pizza joints will allow you to purchase pre-made pizza dough as well. )
- 1 and ½ cup pizza sauce
- 6.5 ounces pepperoni (6.5 oz), stick or sliced
- 1 and ½ cup mozzarella (I recommend buying a block of mozzarella and shredding it yourself.)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Olive oil (or this) for brushing your pan and the crust
- Fresh Basil, about 5 leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Flour for dusting the pan and the dough
Furthermore, for this recipe, I used a 10” cast iron skillet pan. However, any deep dish pizza pan can be used.
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS FOR DEEP-DISH PIZZA
Be creative with the toppings. I enjoy mushrooms and sausage. As well, sometimes I want all veggies on my pizza so I add peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach. You can even think outside the box and do untraditional bbq Boston butt and pineapple pizza or shaved brussels sprouts and bacon. (my favorite!)
Finally, when I make pizza I always make extra. I like it cold. The boys will eat it several days in a row even for breakfast. Plus, if you store leftover pizza in an airtight container, it’ll keep for three to four days in the refrigerator. Simply pop it in the microwave or toaster oven to reheat it.
HOW DO I REHEAT PIZZA?
For the best-reheated pizza, I recommend either using the oven or your air fryer for info read, Reheat pizza in an air fryer.
If your family loves pizza as much as mine does, you may enjoy this information on the Ooni Pizza Oven.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- Pizza Dip
- Homemade Pizza Pockets Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Breakfast Pizza
- Onion and Butternut Squash Pizza
- Easy Pizza Dough
HOMEMADE PEPPERONI LOVER'S DEEP DISH PIZZA
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 16 ounce pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 1 and ½ cup pizza sauce
- 6 ounces pepperoni chopped or sliced
- 1 and ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for brushing pan & crust
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons flour for dusting pan and dough
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush a cast-iron skillet with olive oil and dust with flour. (Note, if you did not purchase pre-rolled pizza dough, you will first need to dust a working space with flour and roll out your pizza dough to be used in your cast iron skillet.)
- Press pizza dough into the bottom of the skillet and up the sides, about halfway up is fine.
- Brush pizza with olive oil and crushed garlic, do not add toppings yet.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- While the crust is baking, chop the pepperoni, divide it into two small piles and set it aside.
- When the crust is golden brown, remove it from the oven, add pizza sauce, and spread it evenly.
- Top with half of the chopped pepperoni
- Followed by half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add the remaining chopped pepperoni (optional to save a little bit to sprinkle on top before baking).
- Spread the remaining shredded mozzarella followed by the fresh mozzarella slices, place the circles evenly apart and add the fresh basil. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning evenly on the pizza and add the leftover chopped pepperoni (if any).
- Bake the pizza with the toppings for 8 -10minutes or until all of the cheese has melted. (To get the toasted spots on your cheese, let pizza cook under the broiler for 1-2 minutes if necessary.)
- Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing and pulling apart. The rest time will ensure that the toppings and cheese don't spill out onto the plate.
- Store leftover pizza in an airtight container no longer than three to four days in the refrigerator.