Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe is a simple recipe using a basic pizza dough recipe. It’s stuffed with sausage and cheese and baked to perfection. One appearance at your table and it’ll become a favorite!
I’ve made this recipe a thousand times using store-bought pizza dough. I do love my inspiration recipe and you just can’t beat how simple it is to make. It’s quick too! Bonus!
Hands down, the flavor of homemade pizza dough in this recipe is out-of-this-world!
The bread in this Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe is soft and pillowy. I filled it with pre-cooked, spicy pork sausage and sharp cheddar cheese. And, I just couldn’t quit eating it!
For a kicked up version, add jalapeno peppers and Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese. You can even dice bell peppers and mushrooms to it.
It would be great for tailgating, snack or breakfast. Any time, actually. Ryder loves to drizzle honey over his, maple syrup would be good too!
Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe Tips
- Stromboli is an Italian savory turnover that’s filled with meats, cheeses, and vegetables.
- A stromboli is either folded like a calzone or rolled then baked to a golden brown.
- If you roll the bread as thinly as you can, especially the side that will be on the inside, it will cook better.
- Also, you’ll want to precook the meat for your stromboli.
- Cook until a dark golden brown to ensure the inside gets cooked.
- The beauty of stromboli is you can customize each one for your picky eaters. Try different meats like pepperoni, use your favorite cheese, try onions, peppers or olives!
While you’re here, check out these recipes
Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- Sprinkle yeast in 1 and 1/2 cup of warm water that's between 110 and 120 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. With dough hook attachment, drizzle in oil until combined with flour and salt. Add sugar and mix.
- With mixer on low, pour in water/yeast mixture and mix until just combined.
- Coat a seperate mixing bowl lightly with oil.
- Pour dough into oiled bowl and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise 30 minutes on countertop if you plan to use it immediately. Or, refrigerate it up to 3 days. If refrigerated for later use, take out of refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before you plan to cook it.
- Yield: Makes 2 - 10-12 inch calzones, 2 strombolis or 2 pizzas