Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe is a simple recipe using a basic pizza dough recipe. It’s stuffed with sausage and cheese and baked to perfection. One appearance at your table and it’ll become a favorite!
I’ve made this recipe a thousand times using store-bought pizza dough. I do love my inspiration recipe and you just can’t beat how simple it is to make. It’s quick too! Bonus!
Hands down, the flavor of homemade pizza dough in this recipe is out-of-this-world!
The bread in this Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe is soft and pillowy. I filled it with pre-cooked, spicy pork sausage and sharp cheddar cheese. And, I just couldn’t quit eating it!
For a kicked up version, add jalapeno peppers and Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese. You can even dice bell peppers and mushrooms to it.
It would be great for tailgating, snack or breakfast. Any time, actually. Ryder loves to drizzle honey over his, maple syrup would be good too!
Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe Tips
- Stromboli is an savory Italian turnover recipe. It is filled with meats, cheeses, and vegetables.
- I’ve seen stromboli folded like a calzone. I’ve also seen them rolled like I did.
- If you roll the bread as thinly as you can, especially the side that will be on the inside, it will cook better.
- Also, you’ll want to precook the meat for your stromboli.
- Try to make the stromboli the same diameter from end to center so it’ll cook through. Then, you’ll need to cook to dark golden brown so the inside of the dough is cooked.
- The beauty of stromboli is you can customize each one for your picky eaters. Try different meats like pepperoni, use your favorite cheese, try onions, peppers or olives!
While you’re here, check out these recipes
Homemade Sausage Cheese Stromboli Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 teaspoon Yeast Active Dry or Instant
- 1 and ½ cups warm water between 110 and 120 degrees F
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil you can also use olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage any flavor1
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese grated, or your favorite cheese
- Sprinkle yeast in 1 and 1/2 cup of warm water that’s between 110 and 120 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. With dough hook attachment, drizzle in oil until combined with flour and salt. Add sugar and mix.
- With mixer on low, pour in water/yeast mixture and mix until just combined.
- Coat a seperate mixing bowl lightly with oil.
- Pour dough into oiled bowl and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise 30 minutes on countertop if you plan to use it immediately. Or, refrigerate it up to 3 days. If refrigerated for later use, take out of refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before you plan to cook it.
- Divide the dough in to 2 equal parts. Stretch one ball of dough out on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Sprinkle cooked and drained sausage evenly over the dough.
- Next, spread the cheese evenly over the sausage. Roll up jellyroll-style starting on the long side.
- Bake in 375° oven until brown about 25-30 minutes. Slice into pinwheels. Serve plain or with maple syrup.
- Yield: Makes 2 – 10-12 inch calzones, 2 strombolis or 2 pizzas
- The dough makes enough for 2 stromoli. Wrap one dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate it up to use later.