This is my ‘How to fix a dry overbaked cake‘ Chocolate Cake and it will blow your mind! It’s that good and it all resulted from overcooking my cake.
So you lost track of time scrolling on Instagram and overbaked the cake. As long as it’s not scorched or burnt, we can fix it. Actually, there are a few different ways to improve a dry cake.
‘How to fix a dry overbaked cake’ Chocolate Cake
A dry cake is either the result of a cake that isn’t formulated correctly. This means it didn’t have enough milk, water, butter, or other liquid to the ratio of flour (and/or other dry ingredients). Or, you baked it too long and the moisture evaporated out of it. In most cases for home cooks, the reason for a dry cake is the latter, overcooking made the cake dry.
Therefore, we need to put moisture back into the cake.
ADD A LIQUID
First, you can add moisture to a cake by poking holes in the cake with a long skewer, toothpick, fork, knife, or (clean) end of a wooden spoon. Next, you’re going to pour a liquid onto the cake and it’ll soak into the holes.
You can use any of these
- Simple syrup. Bring equal amounts of water and sugar to a boil until the sugar melts. Pour over the cake. Frost as desired.
- Flavored simple syrup. Add liquer or extract to the above mixture after it cools then pour over the cake. Frost as desired.
- Pudding. Make pudding and pour it over the cake before the pudding sets. You’ll need to refrigerate after adding the pudding.
- Sweetened condensed milk. Pour over the cake and allow it to soak in. You’ll need to refrigerate after adding the milk.
- Caramel Sauce. I find it easier to warm the sauce a little then pour it over the cake.
- Chocolate Sauce. Warm the sauce then pour over the cake allowing it to soak into the cake.
‘fix a dry overbaked cake’ Chocolate Cake: TRANSFER MOISTURE
Next, is the bread method. All you do is place a slice of white bread in the container with your cake. Make sure to close them in an airtight container for several hours. The cake will pull moisture out of the bread. The cake becomes moist and the bread becomes dry and hard.
Another option is to microwave the cake. For this method, you must plan to serve it immediately. And it needs to be unfrosted and small enough to handle easily.
- You will dampen a paper towel.
- Place the damp paper towel on a cake plate.
- Then place your cake on the paper towel.
- Microwave it in 10 to 15-second increments until its warm.
TRANSFORM YOUR DRY CAKE
One of the easiest options is to simply serve the cake with ice cream. No one will notice the cake is dry!
Lastly, you can turn your cake into a trifle or tiramisu. Try my From Scratch Punch Bowl Pound Cake Trifle for the method and amounts. You can change the flavor of your cake and the pudding to your taste. For tiramisu, try this recipe, Tiramisu with Pound Cake.
IF YOU LIKE MY CHOCOLATE CAKE, LET’S CONTINUE BAKING!
- San Sebastian Basque Cheesecake
- Skinny Peaches & Cream Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Cheesecake
- How to Bake the Perfect Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Eggnog Cheesecake
- Strawberry Ripple Almond Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Factory Oreo Cheesecake
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan (or equivalent)
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed with your mixer.
- Carefully stir in the boiling water last. This batter will is thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 24 to 27 minutes in the preheated oven or until the cake tests done with a wooden pick.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For dry cake
- Using a skewer or toothpick, poke holes in your cake.
- Warm the chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and cream cheese frosting. Don't mix them together and don't get them too hot, just warm them enough that they'll spread easily. Drizzle the chocolate sauce and caramel sauce over the cake and allow it to soak into the holes.
- Top with candy and chocolate chips. Drizzle cream cheese frosting over the top.
- You can add any chocolate candy or candy bars that you like. Cut them into bite-size pieces and sprinkle them over the cake.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. If you use cream cheese frosting you'll need to refrigerate it to store. If not you can store it on the countertop. Be sure the cake is in an airtight container.