One Pan Fajita Rice Casserole is an incredibly easy and tasty meal that’s ready in just over 30 minutes. This recipe has all the Tex-Mex flavors you love without paying restaurant prices to get them!
ONE PAN FAJITA RICE CASSEROLE
This is everyone’s favorite dinner. It’s quick, easy, flavorful, family-friendly and it’s made all in one pan! This One Pot Taco Rice will become a staple in your menu and a new family favorite!
Seasoned ground beef, Rotel tomatoes, rice, and cheese make this delicious dinner. Top with all your favorite fajita or taco accoutrements.
ONE PAN FAJITA RICE CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
The full recipe with amounts and directions for making this wonderful recipe is further down at the end of the post. As well, in the recipe card, you can save the recipe to your personal (free) Recipe Box so you’ll never misplace another recipe.
- Lean ground beef. You can substitute ground chicken, turkey, or pork. Also, boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into cubes is good.
- Fajita seasoning. You can make fajita seasoning using my recipe, or purchase it. One envelope = 2 tablespoons, you’ll need 2 tablespoons of seasoning. You can also use taco seasoning.
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies. ‘Rotel tomatoes’ or simply ‘Rotel’ is what they’re more commonly referred to.
- White rice. Uncooked.
- Colby jack cheese. It needs to be shredded but I recommend you purchase a block of cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in corn starch and preservatives that, frankly, you don’t need. As well, freshly shredded cheese has a lot more flavor than store-bought shredded.
- Toppings. Likely whatever you like on tacos or fajitas you’ll like on the casserole. I recommend sour cream, scallions, avocado, and tomatoes. Try a few tortillas chips on top for added crunch.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
For the tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel tomatoes) choose the level of spicy that you like. Try spicy for an extra kick.
I have made this recipe with fajita seasoning as well as taco seasoning and both are good. Personally, I prefer fajita seasoning (I did taco seasoning everything for so long that I’m probably burnt out on it.)
Also, try pepper jack cheese for a different flavor. Cheddar cheese is always a good option too.
You can also use leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken in this casserole.
You can also throw in any veggies you like, beans, corn, zucchini, peppers, and/or onions.
We love topping ours with chips, salsa, guacamole or avocados, cilantro, scallions, and tomatoes. It will also be great with taco sauce, hot sauce, jalapenos, olives, lettuce, etc
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Cheesy Spanish Rice
- Green Chile Cheese Rice Casserole
- Creamy Green Chile Queso
- Shrimp Quesadilla
- Mexican Rice
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Skinny Margaritas
- Poblano Pepper Chili Relleno
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
ONE PAN FAJITA RICE CASSEROLE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons (or 1 envelope) fajita seasoning homemade or purchase 1 envelope
- 10 ounce can Diced tomatoes with green chilies any heat level you prefer
- 1 and ½ cup white rice uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Toppings like sour cream, scallions, avocado, and tomatoes
- In a large skillet with a lid brown your ground beef, and drain the grease.
- To the pan over medium-high heat add your taco seasoning packet and the can of Rotel tomatoes.
- Next, add in your rice and water. Stir to combine. Bring everything up to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let cook for 16-18 minutes until the rice is tender.
- When the rice is cooked turn off the heat and add in half your cheese and stir.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and place the lid back on to melt the cheese. Top with your favorite toppings!