Ruffled Phyllo Pumpkin Cake recipe has crispy, buttery edges and a creamy, custard-filled, chewy center. This dessert is not overly sweet. It’s a perfectly flavored, delicious treat and textural dream.
RUFFLED PHYLLO PUMPKIN CAKE
You may also hear this referred to as Ruffled Milk Pie.
Traditionally, Ruffled Milk Pie is Greek, galatopita. It’s a ‘pie made with milk’ because layers of phyllo dough are covered in a sweet milk and egg mixture and baked. The top is ruffled (thus the name) and crisp while the bottom is soft like pie. In my opinion, it’s a cross between bread pudding and baklava.
I’ve been testing this recipe for weeks now. It’s for sure making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table. If you’ve been looking for something unique, consider this your sign.
RUFFLED PHYLLO PUMPKIN CAKE TEXTURE
So. I’m just going to put this out there. Some people may not like the texture of this pie/cake. It is unusual. I loved it. The crisp top contrasts are lovely with the creamy, custardy bottom.
TIPS FOR THE BEST PUMPKIN MILK CAKE
Phyllo is a very delicate dough, so always move slowly and carefully in separating, rolling, and manipulating the dough in any way or it will crack or tear.
Also, be sure to work with thawed-out phyllo dough per the packaging instructions.
Because phyllo is such a thin dough, it will dry out very easily! To prevent this as you are making this recipe, you can keep the unused dough under a damp towel or carefully fold it inside a sealed ziplock bag.
For the butter on top, use the amount that makes you happy. It’s totally to your preference. More butter will make for a softer, more traditional cake-like texture. Less butter will allow the cake to have a crispier, more golden brown result. If using the entire cup of butter, allow the cake to cook for 10-15 more minutes to reduce excess butter in the pan.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Pumpkin Pot Tart
- Peanut Butter Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread
- Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Strawberry Almond Milk Coconut Oil Muffins Healthy Breakfast
- 16 Homemade Energy Bars
I calculated the nutritional information using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but I have endeavored to be as accurate as possible.
RUFFLED PHYLLO PUMPKIN CAKE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Melt one stick of butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan. To a sheet of parchment paper, carefully add two sheets of phyllo dough. The phyllo should be together and in line. Brush the phyllo dough generously and entirely with the melted butter.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of pumpkin to the phyllo dough about 1-2 inches from the bottom in a line across the phyllo dough. Spread it out as thin as possible, avoiding the edges.
- Carefully begin to roll the phyllo up with the pumpkin inside. Roll the entire sheet of phyllo dough up. Brush entirely with butter. Carefully begin to create a spiral with the phyllo dough starting from one end. Brush with butter if you discover any dry areas or areas that attempt to crack. Add to an oiled 8-inch circular pan.
- Repeat steps 3-7 creating 8-10 more rolls of pumpkin in phyllo. Use the rolls to build on the first spiral of pumpkin rolled phyllo. The result should be a larger spiral that will fill the pan. Brush any dry or cracking areas with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Bake the phyllo pumpkin at 350F for 12 minutes.
- Remove the phyllo pumpkin from the oven after 10 minutes. Pour butter over the top while it is still hot. Bake for another 12 minutes at 350F.While the phyllo pumpkin is baking, make the custard by adding the milk, sugar, vanilla, and eggs to a bowl. Beat until everything is combined and the mixture is a pale yellow in color.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350F or until golden brown. Some areas may puff more than others, but once you remove it from the oven it will level out as it cools off.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or cool.