Buttery, dense yet tender and moist, Sour Cream Dark Chocolate Pound Cake is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. This recipe melts in your mouth with decadent rich dark chocolate flavor.
It’s like a pound cake brownie!!
If you like brownies and you like chocolate cake, you’ll love this pound cake recipe! It’s denser than my Coca Cola Cake but not quite as dense as my Best Chewy Fudgy Brownie recipe. It’s fudgy without being packy. As well, the top edges get crunchy chewy like brownies!
If you’re new to baking Pound Cakes, I wrote this post, Bake the Perfect Pound Cake, that I highly recommend that you read before starting this recipe.
As with every new recipe you try, read it through two or more times before you start to make sure you understand every step.
Next, after reading through the recipe multiple times, get all the ingredients out and all the equipment out.
SOUR CREAM DARK CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
A pound cake should be rich and buttery with a dense texture and a tender crumb. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can bake rich, buttery, homemade pounds cakes like a pro.
- I used the same cocoa powder in this pound cake that I did in my Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies. Regular cocoa isn’t as rich as this Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa is. (Go here to order Hershey’s Special Dark)
- For baking, you absolutely have to Carefully and correctly measure flour.
- When measuring flour, use the “spoon & level” method. Do not scoop the flour out of the container or bag with your measuring cup. Scoop the flour and you could end up with 150% more. Instead, sift the flour first! Next, using a spoon, scoop the flour into the measuring cup. Do not pack the flour down and do not tap the measuring cup– both cause the flour to settle in the cup. After you’ve spooned the flour into the measuring cup, use the back of a knife to level off the top of the measuring cup.
- You can do everything else right in making this cake, but if your oven is not cooking at the temperature it shows on the dial, your cake will not cook correctly. Please read this post I wrote on How to Calibrate your Oven.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER POUND CAKE
I recommend storing leftover pound cake on the counter at room temperature in an airtight container. I usually wrap it in plastic wrap or cut it into slices and keep it on a covered cake plate. It will last anywhere from 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
It will last up to 7 days if you store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
CAN I FREEZE POUND CAKE?
Pound cake is great for freezing. Wrap it up tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap and store it in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
- You can also bake this cake in a 10 x 5-inch loaf pan. Check for doneness at 75 minutes add time as needed.
- You can also bake two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans if desired. The cooking time will be 60 minutes add time as needed.
While you’re here, check out these pound cake recipes
- Butter Beer Pound Cake
- Coffee Cake Pound Cake
- Orange Creamsicle Pound Cake
- Sheet Pan Pound Cake
- Can I Bake a Pound Cake in a 9×13-inch Pan?
- 10 Ridiculously Easy Pound Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Dark Chocolate Pound Cake😍
- 1 cup butter softened, real butter not margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted, then measured correctly
- 3.4 ounces chocolate fudge instant pudding
- ¾ cup dutch process cocoa Hershey's Special Dark like this
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 8 ounces sour cream full fat, not reduced-fat or light
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- Turn the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream and beat until combine. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides, Mix again until the mixture is fully combined. (This batter is very thick.)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Stop microwave and stir every 20 seconds. Repeat, if necessary, until smooth.
- Whisk in the corn syrup and flavoring. Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Store the cake in an airtight container.