Loaded with superfood and fruits, Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl is a delicious and decadent yet healthy breakfast that’s super easy to make yourself. It’s also full of anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting ingredients.
I first had a Mermaid Smoothie Bowl a couple of months ago. Immediately, I fell in love and started experimenting on how to make it at home.
You guys are going to be surprised at how easy smoothie bowls are to make. You’ll pay $8 to $12 at a restaurant or juice bar for the exact same concoction!
What is a Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl?
Someone at some point deemed bluish green smoothies ‘Mermaid’ smoothies, obviously because they’re blue like mermaids. If you believe in mermaids.🧜♀️ Similarly, all things pink-blue-purple are named ‘Unicorn’. 🦄
A smoothie bowl starts with frozen fruits or veggies that are mixed until smooth with the thickness and consistency of ice cream. Whereas, a smoothie is thinner and usually sipped with a straw. I prefer smoothie bowls because they’re more satisfying and feels like I’ve eaten something versus just drinking something.
I like to use frozen bananas because they blend into a creamy consistency (like ice cream), not an icy consistency (like a slushy).
When you reach a certain age, it seems you gain weight when you breathe! However, smoothie bowls fill me up without filling me out! They’re healthy and satisfying. As well, Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl is slightly sweet from the fruit and satisfies my sweet tooth. I have one for breakfast every day now. As well, when I want a dessert and don’t want to blow my diet I whip up a smoothie bowl.
What makes it so blue?
The one ingredient that gives this Mermaid Smoothie Bowl its name and makes it blue is Blue Spirulina.
Blue Spirulina is a blue pigment derived from blue-green algae. It is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, carotenoids, and antioxidants that can help protect cells from damage. Also, it has an abundance of B vitamins which enhances energy levels, boosts the immune system, increases metabolism, and improves digestion! Hence, it’s considered a superfood because of all the dense nutritional value in it.
Blue Spirulina has a neutral, slightly bitter taste. However, I find the bitterness is really undetectable when blended with fruit.
Blue Spirulina is available in powder form at most health food stores. I ordered it here on Amazon. While it’s slightly expensive, $29.99 for 1.76-ounce, this package will last a long time. I only use 1/2 teaspoon in my Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl. Considering a Mermaid Smoothie Bowl will cost upwards of $8 to purchase, you’ll recoup the cost after making your smoothie bowls at home after just a few.
Also noteworthy, do not get the green spirulina. Green spirulina has a disgusting strong fishy smell. It’s cheaper, but I promise it’s not worth the savings. I could not eat green spirulina!
How do I make a smoothie bowl?
- You want to start with frozen fruit. I purchase bananas in bulk when they’re on sale and freeze them. Be sure to read my tips How to freeze bananas for smoothies. I purchase frozen mangos because they’re usually cheaper than freezing fresh mangos.
- All you do is add the bananas, mangos, blue spirulina powder, and almond milk to the Nutribullet and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and top with as much or as little toppings that you want.
- I have this Nutribullet, but you can use a high-powered blender.
- Finally, you can add unflavored protein powder to your smoothie for extra nutrients. Be sure to use unflavored.
- Toppings suggestions. Try almonds, granola, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, coconut, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of honey.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used. I didn’t calculate toppings in the nutritional analysis of this recipe.
Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl
- Nutribullet or high-power blender
- 1 cup bananas frozen, cut into chunks
- 2 cups mangos frozen, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon blue spirulina powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk unsweetened, unflavored
- almonds, granola, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, coconut, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of honey for topping if desired.
- In a Nutribullet or high-powered blender add all the ingredients. Pulse until combined and smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top if desired with toppings of your choice. Some ideas are almonds, granola, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, coconut, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of honey.