Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits, this portable breakfast has the sausage and cheese baked right into tender and flaky biscuits.
Breakfast is my favorite meal. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a morning person or because I fondly remember large family breakfasts on the weekends growing up. Maybe, it’s a little of both.
For this reason, we have a big homecooked family breakfast on the weekends. We have any combination of homemade biscuits, waffles, or pancakes, with bacon or sausage, eggs, and gravy. Sometimes, when I plan well enough, I make cinnamon rolls which are my favorite.
Those family breakfasts favorites got me to thinking about a way that I could make something similar during the week. So, I mixed it sausage and cheese into homemade biscuits! And, they’re FABULOUS!
The most amazing breakfast biscuits ever! Loaded with fresh crumbled sausage chunks, sharp cheddar cheese and green onions, if desired. You will want this for breakfast every single morning!
Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits
- If you prefer more biscuit and less ‘filling’, you can cut the sausage and cheese in half.
- You can use sour cream, Greek yogurt, or plain yogurt for the buttermilk.
- As well, you can make ‘buttermilk’ by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Stir. and give it about 10 minutes to curdle.
- Finally, you can substitute ham, bacon, for the sausage. You can also substitute Monterrey, pepper jack, gruyere, and Swiss for the cheddar.
These biscuits are best the day they are made. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container, or wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Re-warm in the microwave or oven.
More breakfast recipes
To freeze biscuits
Completely cool baked biscuits on a wire rack before wrapping and freezing. To prevent the biscuits from drying out, wrap tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil or pack in freezer bags.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 to 30 seconds.
- For the oven, place the foil-wrapped package in a preheated 300°F oven. Heat thawed biscuits about 10 minutes or frozen biscuits about 20 minutes.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
I created a fun group on Facebook and I’d love for you to join it! It’s a place where you can ask questions, see what’s new with Call Me PMc, and find new recipes from my blogger friends. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 pound pork sausage cooked and drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter salted or unsalted, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced, green part only
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking pan.
- Cook and drain sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture has pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the sausage and cheese (and green onions if you're adding them.)
- Add the buttermilk and combine. I find it easiest to use a fork to gently stir the mixture until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Then, use your hands to knead the mixture a few times in the bowl to bring the dough together.
- Turn the dough out onto a parchment-lined counter and pat into an 8x10-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 squares.
- Transfer the biscuits to the baking pan, leaving 1-inches between each biscuit. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the melted butter.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.